Is the number of photons in the universe fixed

In summary, it says clearly at the wiki article regarding the CMB that: "The photons that existed at the time of photon decoupling have been propagating ever since, though growing fainter and less energetic, since exactly the same photons fill a larger and larger universe."
bobsmith76
It says clearly at the wiki article regarding the CMB that: "The photons that existed at the time of photon decoupling have been propagating ever since, though growing fainter and less energetic, since exactly the same photons fill a larger and larger universe."

I don't see how that's true. As I understand things when an electron descends from a higher orbit it releases a photon. When electrons are in a lower orbit they have less energy and that loss of energy is transferred to the photons so that the amount of energy in the universe is conserved. It appears to me then that photons are created from electrons and later they are absorbed by electrons when they ascend to a higher orbit. It seems like I've unwittingly answered my question. Still, I want it to be sure. Is it accurate to say that

any time an electron releases a photon by descending an orbit that same photon must later be absorbed by a different electron ascending to a higher orbit?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how this possibly follows.

The statement about one group of photons doing one thing - in this case, traveling in empty space in an expanding universe - says absolutely nothing about what an entirely different set of photons in an entirely different environment are doing.

bobsmith76, I believe the Wikipedia statement is referring specifically to the CMB photons, and simply means that what we detect as the CMB comes from original photons that have never interacted with anything over the 13.75 Gy since their creation.

bobsmith76 said:
any time an electron releases a photon by descending an orbit that same photon must later be absorbed by a different electron ascending to a higher orbit?

Not at all. It could split into an electron/positron pair or some such as it travels along, and there are many interactions with materials that could occur to convert it into a whole bunch of lower energy photons, and so on. So the number of photons in the universe is nothing like fixed. If you just hold up a big bit of black cardboard to the sun you will be helping to increase the photon population, since you will be converting higher energy visible photons into a larger number of lower energy infrared photons. Or perhaps you will decrease the total population since you store a bunch of those photons as heat before they get re-emitted. Anyway you get the idea.

Kurros,

thanks for the reply. i appreciate your help.

1. What are photons and how are they related to the universe?

Photons are particles of light that carry energy and have zero mass. They are related to the universe because they are the fundamental building blocks of light, which plays a crucial role in the formation and evolution of the universe.

2. Is the number of photons in the universe constant?

No, the number of photons in the universe is not constant. Photons can be created and destroyed through various processes, such as particle-antiparticle annihilation and pair production. However, the total energy of all the photons in the universe remains constant.

3. How many photons are estimated to exist in the observable universe?

It is difficult to estimate the exact number of photons in the observable universe, but it is believed to be around 1089 (1 followed by 89 zeros). This number is constantly changing as photons are created and destroyed.

4. Can the number of photons in the universe be counted?

It is not possible to accurately count the number of photons in the universe. The universe is vast and constantly expanding, and photons exist in every corner of it. Additionally, photons can only be detected and measured indirectly through their interactions with matter.

5. How does the number of photons in the universe affect its temperature?

The number of photons in the universe is directly related to its temperature. As the universe expands, the number of photons per unit volume decreases, leading to a decrease in temperature. This is known as the cosmic microwave background radiation, which has a temperature of approximately 2.7 Kelvin.