Is the perimeter of a right triangle equal to its area? (Part 2)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
mathdad
Messages
1,280
Reaction score
0
A right triangle is given. One leg is u units and the other leg is v units. The hypotenuse is given to be w units.

If u = [2(m + n)]/n, v = 4m/(m - n), and
w = [2(m^2 + n^2)/(m - n)n, show that

(1/2)(uv) = u + v + w

I must multiply u times v times (1/2), right? I then must add u + v + w. The right side must equal the left, right?

This exercise will show that the perimeter is numerically equal to the area.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
I must multiply u times v times (1/2), right? I then must add u + v + w. The right side must equal the left, right?
Yes.