Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the product of two open sets open?

1. Sep 25, 2008 #1
    Say we have open sets from two topological spaces. A is an open subset of T1 and B is an open subset of T2. So for these two open sets, A, B. Is A X B open itself? I see this is the case in R x R, where R is the real number line. I am wanting to say that this is just true in general... If so, anyone know a good proof? Or can anyway tell me how to show this?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2008 #2
    The answer depends on what topology you give onto the set [tex]T_1\times T_2[/tex].

For example, if you let [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] have the standard topology, but give [tex]\mathbb{R}\times\mathbb{R}[/tex] a trivial topology [tex]\{\emptyset, \mathbb{R}\times\mathbb{R}\}[/tex], then [tex]]0,1[\times ]0,1[[/tex] is not open.

A standard choice for the topology of [tex]T_1\times T_2[/tex] is so called product topology. Here's the Wikipedia page of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_topology
    In product topology, [tex]A\times B[/tex] is open in [tex]T_1\times T_2[/tex] always when [tex]A[/tex] is open in [tex]T_1[/tex] and [tex]B[/tex] is open in [tex]T_2[/tex]. This is almost by definition of the product topology. However, the precise definition is slightly complicated, so there is something left to be proved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?