Is the subset 2x+y≤2, x-y>4 of R² open or closed?

  • Thread starter Thread starter gavbacardi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Closed Subsets
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
gavbacardi
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
1. {(x,y)[itex]\in[/itex] R^2 such that 2x+y<=2, x-y>4} Determine whether this subset of R^2 is open, closed or neither open nor closed.


2. I think this is an open subset but not sure how to prove it. I have rearranged the equations to give x>2, y<=-2x+1, y< x-1. I think it is open because x can get closer and closer to 2 but never equal it and y can get closer and closer to x-1 but never equal it. I'm not sure how prove this mathematically though?

Any help or hints would be great!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
First things first. Draw what your set looks like by re-arranging your equations a bit. This will allow you to see whether or not your set is open.

Remember a set is open if every point is an interior point, that is for any point you choose, every neighborhood around it contains points only from the set.