Prove if S is Open and Closed it must be Rn

• Thread starter RPierre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Closed
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that if a subset S in Rn is both open and closed, then it must be equal to Rn. The conversation also touches upon the concept of connectedness and why it is relevant in this proof. The main question is how to prove that Rn is connected, and the conversation provides an example and suggests starting with the case n=1.
RPierre
The main question:
Let S be a subset in Rn which is both open and closed. If S is non-empty, prove that S= Rn. I am allowed to assume Rn is convex.

Things I've considered and worked with:
The compliment of Rn is an empty set which has no boundaries and therefore neither does Rn. Therefore there exists NO points P such that the delta neighborhood of P is located within Rn and its compliment. This means it is open, because any d-nbhd within Rn is a subset of Rn, and it is closed because all of the boundaries of Rn are within the set. Therefore Rn is both open and closed.

Thats where I am stuck. And also, I am not sure If all of that is valid logic.

The second question I had, as I have two questions remaining on my assignment after working on it for 10 hours today and yesterday another 10, and becoming quite desperate for help is:

"Let f(x,y) be defined on the square -1 <= x <= 1, -1<=y<=1 as follows: f(x,y) = 1 for all (x,y) where Abs(x^3) <y < x^2 and f(x,y) = 0 otherwise. Show that f(x,y) approaches 0 as (x,y) approach zero on any straight line through the origin. Determine if the lim (x,y) -> 0 exists."

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not buying your proof. It's way too vague. It's great you can assume R^n is convex, because it is. And it's not hard to prove. But if you assume it is, then if S is nonempty then there is a point x in S. If S is not equal to R^n then there is a point in y in complement(S). Define the continuous map f:R->R^n by f(t)=t*x+(1-t)*y. The set of all t such that f(t) is an element of S is a closed and open set of R, right? Why aren't there any such nontrivial subsets of R? In other words, why is R connected?

Last edited:
This is my first assignment ever with topological proofs, so bear with me.

first, what is the map you defined , and why did you define it? Is that to say that any subset within S must also be open and closed?

secondly, I've never encountered the idea of being "connected" before. I took the time to research it a bit, but don't understand the relevance (simply because I lack the knowledge, not to say it IS irrelevant)

I'm now working with this idea - If S does not Equal R^n, then there exists a point y in R^n - S. This implies the compliment also has boundaries. If the compliment has boundaries, then at least one boundary point must either belong to S or compliment(S) but not both. By definition, a set is open if and only if it's compliment is closed so by this fact, either S is not closed, which contradicts the original information, or S is not open, by virtue of the fact that it's compliment is not closed.

When you say "This implies the compliment also has boundaries." nothing implies any such thing. Saying it does is basically assuming what you want to prove. A set doesn't HAVE to have boundary. I would suggest you start with the case n=1, i.e. R^n=R. And here's an instructive example. Let A=R-{0} (R with the origin removed) with the usual topology. Let S={x:x>0}. Then A-S={x:x<0}. S and A-S are open, clearly, but they are also CLOSED in A. Not closed in R, clearly, but they are closed in A. Can you show this? Now why can't R be split up like I split up A? This is the gist of what connectedness is about.

1. What does it mean for a set to be open and closed?

For a set S to be open and closed, it must satisfy two conditions: 1) every point in S must have a neighborhood completely contained in S, and 2) the complement of S must also be contained in S.

2. How do you prove that a set is both open and closed?

To prove that a set S is both open and closed, you must show that it satisfies the two conditions mentioned above. This can be done using various methods such as the definition of open and closed sets, limit points, or topological properties.

3. Why is it important for a set to be both open and closed?

A set being both open and closed is important because it creates a well-defined and stable structure in a topological space. This allows for the use of important theorems and properties, such as the Heine-Borel theorem, which can only be applied to sets that are both open and closed.

4. Can a set be open and not closed, or vice versa?

Yes, a set can be open and not closed, or closed and not open. This is because the two conditions for open and closed sets are independent of each other. For example, the set [0,1) is open but not closed, while the set (0,1) is both open and closed.

5. How does the concept of open and closed sets relate to the concept of a topological space?

Open and closed sets are fundamental concepts in topology, which studies the properties of spaces that are preserved under continuous deformations. A topological space is a set of points with a set of open and closed sets defined on it. The properties of open and closed sets play a crucial role in understanding the structure and behavior of topological spaces.