Is the substitution of the numerator in QFT scattering amplitudes always valid?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ismaili
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Expression
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
ismaili
Messages
150
Reaction score
0
When we are calculating the scattering amplitudes in QFT, we often encounter something like

[tex]\int \frac{d^Dp}{(2\pi)^D} \frac{p^\mu p^\nu}{(p^2+\Delta)^n}[/tex]

and we often make the substitution for the numerator

[tex]p^\mu p^\nu \rightarrow \frac{g^{\mu\nu}p^2}{D}[/tex]

It looks like reasonable but I don't know how to prove it.
However, I wonder if this expression is valid in any situation?
Is it correct under certain regularisation scheme, or it's correct in any case?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Note that the integral is invariant if you simultaneously Lorentz transform both indices. This means it has to be proportional to [tex]g^{\mu\nu}[/tex]. To determine the proportionality constant you can evaluate

[tex]\int \frac{d^Dp}{(2\pi)^D} \frac{p^2}{(p^2+\Delta)^n} = \int \frac{d^Dp}{(2\pi)^D} \frac{(p^0)^2 - (p^1)^2 - (p^2)^2 - (p^3)^2}{(p^2+\Delta)^n} = 4 \int \frac{d^Dp}{(2\pi)^D} \frac{p^0 p^0}{(p^2+\Delta)^n}[/tex]
 
The_Duck said:
Note that the integral is invariant if you simultaneously Lorentz transform both indices. This means it has to be proportional to [tex]g^{\mu\nu}[/tex]. To determine the proportionality constant you can evaluate

[tex]\int \frac{d^Dp}{(2\pi)^D} \frac{p^2}{(p^2+\Delta)^n} = \int \frac{d^Dp}{(2\pi)^D} \frac{(p^0)^2 - (p^1)^2 - (p^2)^2 - (p^3)^2}{(p^2+\Delta)^n} = 4 \int \frac{d^Dp}{(2\pi)^D} \frac{p^0 p^0}{(p^2+\Delta)^n}[/tex]

Thank you very much.
This looks reasonable, so it is valid generically because it's from Lorentz transformation property.
But, this leads to a peculiar result:
I am calculating the self-energy diagram of photon in 2D QED,
The divergent part of the integral is:

[tex]\int \frac{d^2p}{(2\pi)^2} \frac{-2p^\mu p^\nu + g^{\mu\nu}p^2}{(p^2+\Delta)^2}[/tex]

If I put [tex]p^\mu p^\nu = p^2/2[/tex], the divergent terms cancel each other!
This means I don't need regularisation, which is quite unreasonable.
How could this happen?