Is the Sun’s position in the Galaxy close to its predecessor’s position?

In summary, according to nebular theory our solar system formed from the gravitational collapse of a giant gas cloud. Most likely this gas cloud is the remnants of its predecessor's nova.
Gannet
Since nebular theory states that our solar system formed from the gravitational collapse of a giant gas cloud.

Could this giant gas cloud be the remnants of its predecessor’s nova?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Most likely. A lot of the initial elements that were used to form our solar system in the first place were remnants of older, more massive stars that went nova/supernova. Another possibility was the gas cloud could've just been leftovers of some other stars forming, but I doubt that. I'd go with your assumption being right, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. (:

Thanks for replying Calluuuum

I have seen that some believe that the solar system is the product of 10 supernovas that happen ~6 bya. Personally, considering the vast distances (light-years) between stars, I find this statement very unlikely and difficult to put credence in. That is why I conjecture that our solar system is the product nearby red giant that went supernova >5 bya and then condensed into our solar system.

Actually, I was thinking of coining term 'oscillating star' similar in idea to oscillating universe.

The solar system IS the remnant of at least 10 supernova that occurred over the last ~6 billion years. Google on cosmochemistry.

Hi Chronos

Chronos said:
... Google on cosmochemistry.

I did Google cosmochemistry, didn't find anything yet about 10 supernova; however, I did found the following theory at http://www.physorg.com/news167302986.html"

In the comment section there is the following reply to a previous question

BOTH ANSWERS ARE YES ! YOU ARE EXACTLY RIGHT !

1. Isn't it also a possibility that our sun has a much older history than now accepted? Maybe it was a supernova itself, then neutron star, which "evaporated" into a new much lower mass star of mostly hydrogen gas. Some of remnants of the supernova are the matter orbiting our sun today, including the Earth and us.

2. Now the question is how would a neutron star evaporate?

ANSWERS:

1a. Our Sun has a much older history.
1b. It exploded as the supernova 5 Gyr ago
---[Based on combined U/Pb and Pu/Xe age dating.
1c. It ejected all of the material that now orbits the Sun.
1d. Neutron stars "evaporate" by neutron emission
---[Driven by repulsive interactions between neutrons].
1e. The free neutrons decay to protons and electrons.
1f. Strong magnet fields at the core accelerate protons upward by strong.
---[Protons from the core are the carrier gas that maintains mass separation]
1g. Most protons are fused into He-4 during the upward journey
---[This generates 35% of solar luminosity; 100% of solar neutrinos]
1h. 50,000 billion metric ton of H reach the solar surface annually
---[This generates 100% of the solar wind Hydrogen].

2. Neutron-emission, driven by repulsive interactions between neutrons.

All this was explained in detail over the past 30 years and is summarized in "The Sun is a plasma diffuser that sorts atoms by mass," Physics of Atomic Nuclei 69 (2009) 1847-1856; Yadernaya Fizika 69, number 11, (November 2006); PAC: 96.20.Dt DOI: 10.1134/S106377880611007X
http://arxiv.org/.../0609509

With kind regards,
Oliver K. Manuel

I will continue the Google search

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Sun's current position in the galaxy?

The Sun's current position in the galaxy is approximately 25,000 light-years away from the center of the Milky Way.

2. Has the Sun always been in its current position in the galaxy?

No, the Sun's position in the galaxy has changed over time due to the gravitational interactions with other stars and celestial bodies.

3. How long does it take for the Sun to orbit around the galaxy's center?

The Sun takes approximately 225-250 million years to complete one orbit around the center of the Milky Way.

4. Is the Sun's position in the galaxy similar to its predecessor's position?

It is likely that the Sun's predecessor, a previous generation star, had a different position in the galaxy. However, it is difficult to determine the exact position of the Sun's predecessor due to the vast timescale involved.

5. How does the Sun's position in the galaxy affect life on Earth?

The Sun's position in the galaxy has a minimal direct impact on life on Earth. However, its location in the galaxy does affect the amount of cosmic radiation and interstellar material that reaches our planet, which can have indirect effects on the Earth's climate and evolution.