Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the Sun’s position in the Galaxy close to its predecessor’s position?

1. Jun 16, 2010 #1
    Since nebular theory states that our solar system formed from the gravitational collapse of a giant gas cloud.

Could this giant gas cloud be the remnants of its predecessor’s nova?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2010 #2
    Most likely. A lot of the initial elements that were used to form our solar system in the first place were remnants of older, more massive stars that went nova/supernova. Another possibility was the gas cloud could've just been leftovers of some other stars forming, but I doubt that. I'd go with your assumption being right, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. (:

4. Jun 17, 2010 #3
    Thanks for replying Calluuuum

I have seen that some believe that the solar system is the product of 10 supernovas that happen ~6 bya. Personally, considering the vast distances (light-years) between stars, I find this statement very unlikely and difficult to put credence in. That is why I conjecture that our solar system is the product nearby red giant that went supernova >5 bya and then condensed into our solar system.

Actually, I was thinking of coining term 'oscillating star' similar in idea to oscillating universe.

5. Jun 18, 2010 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The solar system IS the remnant of at least 10 supernova that occured over the last ~6 billion years. Google on cosmochemistry.

6. Jun 18, 2010 #5
    Hi Chronos

I did Google cosmochemistry, didn't find anything yet about 10 supernova; however, I did found the following theory at http://www.physorg.com/news167302986.html" [Broken]

In the comment section there is the following reply to a previous question

I will continue the Google search

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook