Is the The National Academy of Future Scientists legit?

In summary: That's just my two cents though. I never heard of it before, so I did a Google search and turned up probably the same things you did. It was founded just last November, by a guy who's launched some other variations on this theme. Their web site doesn't even yet have a list of schools and cities represented.
GiantSheeps
The National Academy of Future Scientists and Technologists

That's the full title of the organization, does anyone know if it is a legitimate organization? I got really excited when I saw, but then when I looked it up on the internet I found a lot of people asking if it was legitimate and there were mixed replies. I couldn't even find a wikipedia article for this. It says Buzz Aldrin, David Wineland, John C. Mather, Cherry Murray, and Stuart Schmill are "mentors". It would be great if this was real, but I'm afraid it might be a scam. Does anyone know what the deal is with this group? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like a seminar series where they get interested students to attend to listen to various industry leaders to talk about the future.

These things are very common for engineering professionals and scientists. You attend and listen to new research discoveries in your field.

In this case, it will be more like a three day summer camp where you will be more excited to talk with other like minded students discussing what the speakers talked about and you will have spent a lot of money for that privilege. It could be a lot of fun but is it really worth it. Your parents migh think it will help you get into a better school but it's three days of talks nothing really concrete.

That's just my two cents though.

Likes GiantSheeps
I never heard of it before, so I did a Google search and turned up probably the same things you did. It was founded just last November, by a guy who's launched some other variations on this theme. Their web site doesn't even yet have a list of schools and cities represented.

On one page they say "The Congress will be held in one of America’s science and technology meccas, Boston, Massachusetts [...]" but on the "accept" page the FAQ says it will be at UMass Lowell. Lowell is not Boston!

I'd call it a gamble, and treat it like a summer camp sort of thing. If the program and other activities look interesting, and if your parents can afford it without taking money away from other priorities, you might consider it. I doubt it would provide a significant advantage on college applications.

Likes GiantSheeps
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-lazarus-20160129-column.html
GiantSheeps said:
The National Academy of Future Scientists and Technologists

That's the full title of the organization, does anyone know if it is a legitimate organization? I got really excited when I saw, but then when I looked it up on the internet I found a lot of people asking if it was legitimate and there were mixed replies. I couldn't even find a wikipedia article for this. It says Buzz Aldrin, David Wineland, John C. Mather, Cherry Murray, and Stuart Schmill are "mentors". It would be great if this was real, but I'm afraid it might be a scam. Does anyone know what the deal is with this group? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-lazarus-20160129-column.html

1. Is the National Academy of Future Scientists a legitimate organization?

Yes, the National Academy of Future Scientists is a legitimate organization that is recognized by the United States Congress and has partnerships with reputable universities and organizations.

2. What is the purpose of the National Academy of Future Scientists?

The purpose of the National Academy of Future Scientists is to inspire and support future scientists and leaders in STEM fields by providing educational and career opportunities, as well as recognition and mentorship from renowned scientists.

3. How do I become a member of the National Academy of Future Scientists?

To become a member of the National Academy of Future Scientists, you must be nominated by a teacher, counselor, or mentor, or you can apply directly if you meet the eligibility criteria. Nominations and applications are reviewed and approved by the Academy's board of advisors.

4. What benefits do members of the National Academy of Future Scientists receive?

Members of the National Academy of Future Scientists receive a membership certificate, access to exclusive events and resources, internship and research opportunities, and the chance to network with other future scientists and leaders in STEM fields.

5. Are there any fees associated with being a member of the National Academy of Future Scientists?

Yes, there is a membership fee to join the National Academy of Future Scientists. However, the Academy offers financial aid and payment plans to those who need it, and the membership fee includes access to all benefits and resources provided by the Academy.