Is the universe actually just mass and length?

In summary, classical physics is all about the combination of mass, length, and time. Anything in the universe is just the combination of these three quantities. If time didn't exist or stopped, things would just stop changing.
babaliaris
After reading some classical physics I learned that the entire physics is actually studying the combination of 3 quantities mass, length and time. Anything in the universe is just the combination of mass and length and time. And why i say that? Because if you notice the formulas that the physicians have invented until now, every object or non object like energy is being described using the quantities length and mass, while time is actually taking place in the change of rate. And if we stay at Newton's region, mass is constant so in other words time causes one thing, the change of length. What is speed? m/s .What is energy? kg * m^2 / s^2 . So the only thing that actually changes is length and time.

So time is a variable quantity which might cause length to change (usually position).

So everything in the universe is actually just mass and length with the the possibility that length might change under some circumstances over time. For example if forces are being applied in an object the object might change position over time.

So what if time didn't exists or stopped? Would things then just stop to change (freeze) and become static?

Space news on Phys.org
Just out of curiosity, where do you think, for example, charge, comes into play in your concept of the universe?

phinds said:
Just out of curiosity, where do you think, for example, charge, comes into play in your concept of the universe?
Well charges are measured in Coulombs which is a number of electrons and electrons actually have mass and size.

babaliaris said:
Well charges are measured in Coulombs which is a number of electrons and electrons actually have mass and size.
So do neutrons. I really don't think you've thought this through.

Likes davenn
I think
phinds said:
So do neutrons. I really don't think you've thought this through.
I think I got you now. You're saying Culomb is just an amount of electrons and so is not a combination of mass, length and time like Newtons or Joules.

babaliaris said:
I think

I think I got you now. You're saying Culomb is just an amount of electrons and so is not a combination of mass, length and time like Newtons or Joules.
No, I'm saying that charge is a PROPERTY, like length, mass, etc. Coulomb is just a measure of that property like the meter is a measure of length. You clearly have not thought through the characteristics of the various properties that things can have and for some reason you believe that there are only 3 properties. I just demonstrated another. It doesn't stop there.

Likes babaliaris
babaliaris said:
After reading some classical physics I learned that the entire physics is actually studying the combination of 3 quantities mass, length and time. Anything in the universe is just the combination of mass and length and time.

babaliaris said:

Modern physics has a number of things which could be considered fundamental. Some of them are part of how we define the relationships between the relative location, shape, and size of objects along with the properties of the space they exist within (space in a geometrical sense, which may or may not include time). Some of them are properties of objects, such as charge, mass, spin number, or many of the flavour numbers of quantum physics. These are usually considered to be fundamental because we have no way of describing how they arise, we only know what effect they have.

I would not consider everything in the universe, which includes the properties of objects and spacetime, to be solely made up of length, mass, and time.

babaliaris said:
After reading some classical physics I learned that the entire physics is actually studying the combination of 3 quantities mass, length and time. Anything in the universe is just the combination of mass and length and time. And why i say that? Because if you notice the formulas that the physicians have invented until now, every object or non object like energy is being described using the quantities length and mass, while time is actually taking place in the change of rate.

This is simply not true. I can find many formulas which do not have terms for mass, length, or time in them. The equations that do have terms for these three properties do so because they are concerned with the position, mass, energy, momentum, velocity, or any of the other properties derived from or having to do with these three. The equations which do not have terms for mass, length, or time are not concerned with them.

I think what you've stumbled across is that most of science is concerned with how things change. A situation in which there is absolutely no change is a.) boring, b.) unrealistic, and c.) of little use. And most of the types of change that you've ever dealt with up until now consists almost solely of change with the position and/or mass of objects (usually by constructing or destructing an object, and I use those words in a very general sense), which requires time.

While time, length, and mass are extremely important in science, and a great many things are derived from or are in units involving them, they are not everything.

Likes babaliaris
phinds said:
No, I'm saying that charge is a PROPERTY, like length, mass, etc. Coulomb is just a measure of that property like the meter is a measure of length. You clearly have not thought through the characteristics of the various properties that things can have and for some reason you believe that there are only 3 properties. I just demonstrated another. It doesn't stop there.
I where saying the same, I just didn't know that property was the word to describe it. I understand what you're saying thought. Thank you.

1. What evidence supports the idea that the universe is made up of just mass and length?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the idea that the universe is made up of just mass and length. One is the observation of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is a remnant of the Big Bang and is consistent with the idea that the universe began as a hot, dense point. Another is the observation of the expansion of the universe, which can be explained by the presence of mass and the curvature of space-time.

2. Is there any evidence that suggests the universe is made up of other components besides mass and length?

Yes, there is evidence that suggests the universe is made up of other components, such as dark matter and dark energy. These components cannot be directly observed, but their effects on the motions of galaxies and the expansion of the universe can be seen. Additionally, observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation and the distribution of galaxies also support the existence of these components.

3. How do scientists measure the mass and length of the universe?

Scientists use various methods to measure the mass and length of the universe. One method is through observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which can provide information about the density of matter and the curvature of space-time. Another method is through observations of the motions of galaxies and the effects of gravity, which can provide information about the amount of matter in the universe. Scientists also use mathematical models and theories, such as Einstein's theory of general relativity, to make predictions and estimates about the mass and length of the universe.

4. Could there be other components of the universe that we are not aware of yet?

Yes, it is possible that there are other components of the universe that we are not aware of yet. Scientists are constantly researching and studying the universe, and new discoveries are made all the time. Some theories, such as string theory, suggest the existence of additional dimensions and particles that could make up the fabric of the universe. As our understanding of the universe continues to evolve, we may discover new components that we were previously unaware of.

5. What implications does the idea of the universe being just mass and length have on our understanding of reality?

The idea that the universe is made up of just mass and length has significant implications for our understanding of reality. It suggests that all matter and energy in the universe can be described and explained by physical laws and principles. It also raises questions about the nature of space and time, and the role they play in the fabric of the universe. Furthermore, this idea challenges our perception of reality and forces us to rethink our understanding of the universe and our place in it.