Is the world really a better place?

• Thread starter Wellsi
  • Start date
does your mum govern your life wellsi? or do you still live with them? :P it seems to me that wellsi is answering his own question here...that he DOES believe that society is deteriorating! whats the problem with one covering religion? if its a totalitarian religion which teaches that all should be submissive to one or many gods, then what would be the problem? society would be far closer to perfect, as that kind of religion would also double as a justice and governmental system. in this, there would be a reduced chance of civil war, as the 'god' would be one all fearing being, who would have to show himself to work his goods :P.

i still believe that yes, water is less dense when it freezes is just the way of things. if ice was LESS dense than water when it froze, and we were having this selfsame discussion, would you not ask that question instead? does it REALLY matter if ice is less dense or not?

to answer your question.... yes it does matter than ice is less dense when frozen, because if it wasnt, imagine what would happen during an ice age, the water on top would freeze, sink because it is denser than the water, which would rise to the top, freeze again.... its an eternal circle that if it was cold enough for long enough COULD freeze the entire ocean.... and hence any life that was in it.... and you might remember that life is supposed to have come from the ocean?
im a student of course i still live at home :) not even 18 yet hahahah and does she govern my life? its open to debate, id certainly like to think not hahaha
ok moving on, i do believe society is deteriorating, dont you? we have been fighting in horror conflicts across the world, and no matter HOW many greenpeace protestors or what not there are it still happens. Our school made an anti-torture poster this week to send overseas, but ask yourself honestly, is one poster from a school the person that recieves it has never heard of really going to change anything?
I seriously dont think that the little dictator is going to be trembling in his boots at the fact that some school kids dont agree with torture.....
problems with totalitarian religions? we why dont u ask yourself the question, sure we would all have one god and what not, but just "reducing" the chance of civil war? those riffs in the Persian gulf and especially in the Gaza strip really look too great to be mended.... and i dont think the media is helping THAT situation either....

ok, so maybe having ice that is less dense than water is rather essential for our existance, but its not only in an ice age that we would all die. the world would be in a perpetual state of frozenness, as there would always be somewhere for the ice to freeze, then there would be perpetual ice. therfore convection currents wouldnt exist, as heat would possibly sink instead (even though im too tired to think of a justification for that atm lol).
gee it looks like this is an 'ask a wellsi' day :P
true society is deteriorating. as we were discussing in class earlier today, the 'dumbing down' of language is what seems, to me, to be a catalyst for the annihilation of culture.
i KNOW that the riffs in the middle east (a gross generalisation i know) are quite possibly irrepairable. THAT is why a totalitarian religion would work! one where god (or gods) SHOW their power in the forms of 'miracles'! what would be the problem with that?

Is the world really a better place? Yes, the horizontal hemispheres are still divided, but if I'm correct no two western hemisphere countries have fought a war with each other in the last 10-15 years or so. I don't think it's the same case with eastern hemisphere countries, but if you want to point to some progress towards peace there would be your evidence.

As far as culture is concerned, free thought and science are taking grasp once again. It seems like more and more people are starting to become skeptics of religion, particularly Christianity and Catholicism. Then again Buddhism is making headway so maybe people are just seeking alternative religions, but from my perspective it seems like more people are becoming agnostic or atheist. Dresden, I know you were probably saying this tongue-in-cheek, but to suggest a totalitarian religion would reduce warfare and make people submissive is a rather flawed deduction. You would just be stirring civil unrest.

So is the world really a better place overall? Well, you can't really look at this question from an overall standpoint, but if you look at it categorically you will find progress in certain areas.

Categorically looking at the world though really doesnt answer the question does it. You cant answer a question by examining one aspect and not another. For example the western hemisphere is much better in progress, but the east isnt. The question isnt "which part of the world is better" its more "is the world AS A WHOLE better than before?"

Is combining these two hemispheres an answer? I mean just looking at the division between east and west (loosely used terms i apologise) in areas like Israel / Palastine.... is it really possible to hit a solution.?

At all times the natural world is seeking equilibrium. However, change is the order of the day, and new factors enter systems disrupting equilibriums. At which point, systems attempt to incorporate the new factors, and once again seek equilibrium.
So it is with human systems. At one time, social evolution encompassed the individual. But humanity stretched its mind and developed capacity for family systems. Continuing to grow, society became tribal. Rome emerged as a city-state empire. Islam developed the world's first nation.
As society grows more capable of expansion, each stage is accompanied by two forces: those forces of decay which eventually work to tear down the barriers to systemic evolution, and those forces of positive growth which take society to the next stage.
Human history is a careening, sometimes staggering, growth towards greater complexity. We are now trying to outgrow nations, and emerge into a world state. Much confusion, antagonism and pain will accompany resistance and hanging onto the outworn shibboleths of past ages, while the trial-and-error expansion into the next societal system will cause it own problems.
Is it a question of "better" or of "inevitability"?