Is there a 3D map of the naked-eye visible nightsky objects?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter alpskomleko
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    3d Map
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
alpskomleko
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I often look up at the sky and wonder how far away this or that star/object is. I know that most discernible stars are in our neighborhood, but I have a hard time figuring out just how close they are.
Is there a map/graphic that would map all the objects we can see with a naked eye in our nightsky and how far away they are? Some of you may have played an old space strategy game called Ascendancy, where the neighboring systems were displayed like this:

2985279260_bc4892cfc2_o.jpg


Thank you for an answer!
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
A little bit off topic:

alpskomleko said:
Some of you may have played an old space strategy game called Ascendancy, where the neighboring systems were displayed like this:

If memory serves me well this way of displaying objects on space dates to - at least - Elite from 1984.
 
Borek said:
If memory serves me well this way of displaying objects on space dates to - at least - Elite from 1984.

Best. C= game. Ever.
 
Speedo said:

No.


But there's some truly awesome stuff there. I just spent an hour there, including watching the entire TV show.