Is There a Better Way to Phrase This Sentence About Digital I/O Modules?

  • Thread starter Thread starter david90
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Writing
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
david90
Messages
311
Reaction score
2
Does this sentence make sense and is there a better way to say it?

"Digital I/O modules have a variety of operating voltage range. "


what I'm trying to say is that there are different digital IO modules and each has a different operating voltage range rating.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
there are different digital IO modules and each has a different operating voltage range.

This sounds pretty good. You might try saying "various digital I/O modules" instead of "different."

Your original attempt is not even grammatically correct. At the very least, you should have "ranges". But it's still confusing, even when you correct the grammar.
 
david90 said:
Does this sentence make sense and is there a better way to say it?

"Digital I/O modules have a variety of operating voltage range. "what I'm trying to say is that there are different digital IO modules and each has a different operating voltage range rating.
It seems that if you have to state it more clearly separately so we understand what you mean, the original sentence should just be replaced by the clarified sentence, i.e.:

"There are different digital IO modules and each has a different operating voltage range rating."
 
A pet hate of mine is using the same word twice in a sentence ('different' in this case). How about:

"There are a variety of digital IO modules and each has a different operating voltage range."

"Digital IO modules can operate over different voltage ranges."

To be honest, I don't even like the word different for technical writing, it's really vague. I don't have the full context here, but how about a word like 'distinct'. It sounds smart.
 
Adyssa said:
"There are a variety of digital IO modules and each has a different operating voltage range."
You have an error here. See what it is?
 
Adyssa said:
'are' should be 'is' I think.

Yup.
 
I got another question.

Is there another way to rewrite this sentence?
"The voltage range of the analog signal to be received by the analog input channel must be within the analog input channel operating voltage range rating."
 
"The analog channel's input voltage range must be observed."