Is there a good book for beginners in quantum optics and photon statistics?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 14K views
Baggio
Messages
211
Reaction score
1
Hi,

I just started my PhD in quantum optics/QIP and I was wondering if anyoen knew of a good book on quantum optics that explains things well especially the subject of photon statistics.

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think Loudon's book is wonderful, but there are a few others such as Wolfe (I believe) that seem to be staples in most AMO offices.
 
Baggio said:
Hi,

I just started my PhD in quantum optics/QIP and I was wondering if anyoen knew of a good book on quantum optics that explains things well especially the subject of photon statistics.

I think the undeniable bible is Mandl and Wolf "Optical Coherence and Quantum Optics".

It is to quantum optics what Jackson is to electromagnetism.
 
vanesch said:
I think the undeniable bible is Mandl and Wolf "Optical Coherence and Quantum Optics".

It is to quantum optics what Jackson is to electromagnetism.

Yes I've heard of that book, would you say it's suitable for someone new to the field though?
 
Meystre and Sergant is a good book to learn from. Anyt text written by Pierre Meystre will be invaluable when it comes to Quantum Optics.

Mandl and Wolf if it is anything like Born and Wolf will not be good to learn from, but a great reference when you have some background in the field.
 
Baggio said:
Yes I've heard of that book, would you say it's suitable for someone new to the field though?

You need to be solid in classical optics, in classical EM, in non-relativistic quantum mechanics, and some basic understanding of QED (the canonical approach will do).

A large part (the first part) of the book is concerned with "classical statistical optics", the second part is quantum-mechanical.