Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a quantitative measure for the nonlinearity of PDEs?

1. Sep 18, 2013 #1
    Hi all,

I understand some PDE is linear like
    [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}=0[/itex]
    while some PDE is nonlinear like
    [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}+f\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}=0[/itex]

Some PDE is weak nonlinear and some is strong nonlinear.

I am wondering whether there is any quantitative measure of the nonlinearity? Many thank!

Best regards,

Joseph

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2013 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let's write our differential equation in the form

$$ \hat{D}[f] + \hat{L}f =0,$$

where ##\hat{L}## is a linear operator and ##\hat{D}## contains all of the nonlinear terms. We can assume that ##f ## belongs to a Banach space ##X## and ##\hat{D}:X\rightarrow Y##, with ##Y## another a Banach space. Then it seems that a common definition of weak nonlinearity is that ##\hat{D}## is Lipschitz continuous. This means that, given ##f_1,f_2\in X## and a metric ##d_X(,)## on ##X##, that

$$ d_Y ( \hat{D}[f_1], \hat{D}[f_1] )\leq K d_X (f_1,f_2) $$

for some constant ##K\geq 0##. The wiki describes how this works for functions, rather than operators, but the ideas are the same.

This suggests that for ##f_1\neq f_2##, the quantity

$$ C[f_1,f_2] = \frac{ d_Y ( \hat{D}[f_1], \hat{D}[f_1] )}{d_X (f_1,f_2)} $$

would be studied as a measure of nonlinearity. There could be domains of ##X## where this is bounded and constant, while in other domains it is not. Unfortunately I am not familiar with the literature on these concepts, but perhaps the extra terminology would help your search.

4. Sep 19, 2013 #3
    Thank you fzero!

It seems a good idea. I am wondering whether this definition
    $$ C[f_1,f_2] = \frac{ d_Y ( \hat{D}[f_1], \hat{D}[f_2] )}{d_X (f_1,f_2)} $$
    is widely use.

Many thanks!
    joseph

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook