Is there a quantum mechanics theory for dynamics in QW planar VCSELs?

In summary, the conversation discusses the theory of dynamics in VCSEL lasers, particularly in regards to polarization dynamics. The speaker mentions their experience with empirical derivations and asks if there is a more general theory based on quantum mechanics for VCSEL dynamics. They also request a link to relevant articles, which the other speaker provides for a basic model and a simplified approach for planar QW-VCSELs.
Goodver
Is there a theory of dynamics in VCSEL lasers? Especially polarization dynamics?

So far I confronted mostly empirical derivations with a bunch of coefficients. I was wondering if there is a more general theory, probably based on quantum mechanics, concerning dynamics in VCSELs?

If so, please provide the link.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
That is somewhat complicated as the range of devices termed VCSEL is quite large. Planar structures or micropillars? Quantum wells or quantum dots as gain medium? Geometry? Material? I assume you are interested in planar QW-VCSELs:

A basic model is presented in Phys. Rev. A 52, 1728 (1995):
http://journals.aps.org/pra/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevA.52.1728

A somewhat simplified (but usually valid) approach is given in Phys. Rev. A 57, 2080 (1998):
http://journals.aps.org/pra/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevA.57.2080

Likes Goodver
Hi Cthugha, thanks! 1 article is familiar to me. Yes I meant QW planar VCSEL.

Related to Is there a quantum mechanics theory for dynamics in QW planar VCSELs?

What is a VCSEL?

A VCSEL (Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Laser) is a type of laser that emits light vertically from the surface of a semiconductor material. It consists of a cavity between two mirrors, which allows for efficient and precise control of the emitted light.

How does a VCSEL work?

VCSELs work by using an electrical current to excite electrons in a semiconductor material, causing them to release photons of light. The photons then bounce back and forth between the mirrors, amplifying the light before it is emitted through one of the mirrors.

What are the applications of VCSELs?

VCSELs have a wide range of applications, including in data communication, sensing, and medical technology. They are commonly used in optical fiber networks for high-speed data transfer and in facial recognition technology for smartphones.

What is the dynamics theory of VCSELs?

The dynamics theory of VCSELs describes the behavior and performance of these lasers, including their output power, frequency, and stability. It takes into account factors such as the materials used, the design of the cavity, and external influences such as temperature and current.

What are the advantages of using VCSELs?

VCSELs have several advantages over other types of lasers, such as lower manufacturing costs, smaller size, and better temperature stability. They also have a higher power efficiency and can be easily integrated into electronic devices.