Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there any absolute proof that photons exist?

1. Jun 18, 2016 #1
    I mean, look this stupidity: [Mentor's note - link to crackpot site deleted]
    This guy denies that light photons exist, and that we are 'magically creating it' like cyclops X-Men
    This is worst than flat-earthers, I wonder If there is some evidence or is it unfalsifiable, like solipsism? Because I want to refute him

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2016 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

We do not discuss crackpottery here, even to refute it. Several reasons:
    - If we did, we wouldn't be talking about anything else as the supply of crackpottery is apparently endless.
    - It can't be refuted. Refutation depends on logical fact-based arguments, and crackpots are impervious to both.
    - The positive and productive act of talking about what real science says generates enough work for the mentors and SAs already.

4. Jun 18, 2016 #3
    Ok, sorry about that

5. Jun 19, 2016 #4
    Yeah, take it from someone who used to spend way too much time bickering with creationists, conspiracy nuts, and "evo-psych" MRAs. You will never convince these people of anything, and in fact you will most likely succeed only in strengthening their convictions because of the backfire effect: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Backfire_effect

Simply put, you can't use a logical and science-based argument on someone who is not interested in using logic himself and is dead-set on the belief that the scientists are in on the conspiracy.

6. Jun 19, 2016 #5
    For example, E=hv is the energy of a photon in photoelectric effect.
    You can also use Compton scattering related examples .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted