Is there any absolute proof that photons exist?

• Thread starter Andew
  • Start date
Andew

Main Question or Discussion Point

I mean, look this stupidity: [Mentor's note - link to crackpot site deleted]
This guy denies that light photons exist, and that we are 'magically creating it' like cyclops X-Men
This is worst than flat-earthers, I wonder If there is some evidence or is it unfalsifiable, like solipsism? Because I want to refute him

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Nugatory
Mentor
Because I want to refute him
We do not discuss crackpottery here, even to refute it. Several reasons:
- If we did, we wouldn't be talking about anything else as the supply of crackpottery is apparently endless.
- It can't be refuted. Refutation depends on logical fact-based arguments, and crackpots are impervious to both.
- The positive and productive act of talking about what real science says generates enough work for the mentors and SAs already.

Andew
Ok, sorry about that

Yeah, take it from someone who used to spend way too much time bickering with creationists, conspiracy nuts, and "evo-psych" MRAs. You will never convince these people of anything, and in fact you will most likely succeed only in strengthening their convictions because of the backfire effect: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Backfire_effect

Simply put, you can't use a logical and science-based argument on someone who is not interested in using logic himself and is dead-set on the belief that the scientists are in on the conspiracy.

For example, E=hv is the energy of a photon in photoelectric effect.
You can also use Compton scattering related examples .