Is there any evidence for MACHOs or WIMPs being Dark Matter?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Quds Akbar
Messages
124
Reaction score
6
I know MACHOS and WIMPs are leading candidates for Dark Matter, but is there any convincing evidence to support them?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Well, I think MACHOS has been more or less ruled out as a dark matter candidate. They don't contribute enough to the matter density to be "most of" the dark matter. WIMPs are probably now our best candidates. I don't know of many other potential candidates, other than a perhaps heavy-ish sterile neutrino (which would be very similar to a WIMP, but is not usually included as a WIMP in the terminology).

The best evidence we have that Dark Matter is made of "stuff" and is not a modification of the laws of gravity, I believe, is the Bullet cluster: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet_Cluster