Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there any evidence for MACHOs or WIMPs being Dark Matter?

1. Nov 27, 2014 #1
    I know MACHOS and WIMPs are leading candidates for Dark Matter, but is there any convincing evidence to support them?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2014 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I think MACHOS has been more or less ruled out as a dark matter candidate. They don't contribute enough to the matter density to be "most of" the dark matter. WIMPs are probably now our best candidates. I don't know of many other potential candidates, other than a perhaps heavy-ish sterile neutrino (which would be very similar to a WIMP, but is not usually included as a WIMP in the terminology).

The best evidence we have that Dark Matter is made of "stuff" and is not a modification of the laws of gravity, I believe, is the Bullet cluster: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet_Cluster

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook