Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there any reason the Universe must have a wave function?

1. Jul 28, 2008 #1
    I believe it does, but I'm having a debate with someone and I'm trying to prove why the universe must have a wave function. I was under impression the best equations for describing our universe involve it having it's own wave but he's asserting it doesn't need one. Can anyone help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2008 #2
    An isolated physical system will have a wavefunction. So particle-in-a-box has a wavefunction. Now make it two-particles-in-a-box. The wavefunction of that system is distinct from that of the first system. Same goes for many-particles-a-box; distinct wavefunction from that of the previous two systems. Now let our isolated system be the universe. Therefore, by the same reasoning, the universe has a wavefunction.

Disclaimer: I feel that decoherence makes the above argument invalid for macroscopic systems. Maybe someone else can shed some more light on this.

4. Jul 29, 2008 #3

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That depends on whether you think quantum mechanics is applicable to the universe or not.

5. Jul 29, 2008 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The title of this thread is that same as the title of a thread in the Beyond the Standard Model forum. I have locked the thread here, and I have copied the posts in the thread here into the thread there. Any replies should be made there.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?