Is there anything like a cosmic mirror?

• Thread starter zthompson47
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mirror
In summary, there are no objects near our galaxy that can reflect light back to us for observation. This means that we cannot use reflected radiation to gather information about the shape of our galaxy. There are also no cosmic mirrors that could potentially reflect light from our galaxy back to us. Thus, it is not possible to identify the source of a single photon as our galaxy, as we would need a large number of observations to do so. The idea of using reflected radiation to gather information about our galaxy is not feasible.
zthompson47
I was wondering if there are objects near our galaxy that can reflect light from the Milky Way back to us for observation. If so, maybe they can provide information about the shape of the galaxy, for example. I'm sure there would be other interesting applications.

I was thinking about it after learning of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salar_de_Uyuni, which is a reflective salt flat on Earth that can be used to calibrate satellites.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Not really. Objects in space are simply too far apart to form a mirror, even for very large wavelength EM waves such as radio waves.

Is it even possible to detect reflected radiation from our galaxy?

No, because there is no mirror to reflect it.

Likes davenn
Thanks for the comments. I'm still a bit curious about the theoretical possibilities, but have dropped plans to find a cosmic mirror.

Let's say a single photon left our galaxy a long time ago, hit a dust particle at some point, and reflected back instead of being absorbed. By good luck, it happens to land in a telescope on Earth and we record the energy & polarization of a single photon (or whatever we can record - I don't know how that works). Can we rule out the possibility of identifying the source of that photon as our galaxy?

The idea seems to be that without a large set of these observations from a certain area of sky (i.e. the mirror doesn't exist), we would have no way to know where one came from..

zthompson47 said:
Let's say a single photon left our galaxy a long time ago, hit a dust particle at some point, and reflected back instead of being absorbed. By good luck, it happens to land in a telescope on Earth and we record the energy & polarization of a single photon (or whatever we can record - I don't know how that works). Can we rule out the possibility of identifying the source of that photon as our galaxy?

No. We have no way of knowing where a single photon came from. It is only when we see large numbers of photons that we can get reliable pictures.

1. What is a cosmic mirror?

A cosmic mirror is a hypothetical object that could potentially exist in outer space, reflecting light and other forms of energy in a way that would allow us to see the past or other parts of the universe that are otherwise hidden from our view.

2. Is there any evidence for the existence of a cosmic mirror?

Currently, there is no concrete evidence for the existence of a cosmic mirror. However, some theories in physics, such as the concept of a closed timelike curve, suggest that the possibility of a cosmic mirror cannot be completely ruled out.

3. How would a cosmic mirror work?

The exact mechanism and functioning of a cosmic mirror is still unknown. Some theories propose that it could be a naturally occurring object, while others suggest it would need to be artificially created using advanced technology.

4. Could a cosmic mirror be used to time travel?

Time travel using a cosmic mirror is a popular concept in science fiction, but it is currently not supported by any scientific evidence. It is also highly unlikely that a cosmic mirror, if it exists, would allow for actual time travel.

5. What are the implications of a cosmic mirror for our understanding of the universe?

If a cosmic mirror were to be discovered and its existence confirmed, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It could potentially provide insights into the early stages of the universe and help us unravel some of the mysteries of the cosmos.