Is There Really a Shortage of Math Majors?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Apple_Mango
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Apple_Mango
Is there really a math shortage because not enough people are studying math in college? I always hear this claim being thrown around though I'm not sure if it's true.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Apple_Mango said:
Is there really a math shortage because not enough people are studying math in college? I always here this claim being thrown around though I'm not sure if it's true.
... is not a valid citation here on PF.
 
Apple_Mango said:
I always see articles trying to push more STEM.
Again, things like "I always see articles" is not a valid citation.

For instance, Trump's wife went to schools and endorse STEM. I figure that this means there is a math shortage of some sort or other wise they wouldn't push for STEM.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/15/polit...-trump-andrews-air-force-base-stem/index.html
OK, an example. Good, but you seem to be basing a conclusion on some random event by a political wife. Not particularly meaningful.
 
phinds said:
Again, things like "I always see articles" is not a valid citation.

OK, an example. Good, but you seem to be basing a conclusion on some random event by a political wife. Not particularly meaningful.
Math is required for all students in schools for America. I was wondering is this attempt is only done simply to get people into math because there is a math shortage.

I have also some other articles from famous companies like Microsoft going to elementary schools inspiring students to get into STEM.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Some real data is in order (as demanded by forum rules):
https://www.newyorkfed.org/research/college-labor-market/college-labor-market_compare-majors.html

The unemployment rate for math majors in January was 5.9%, which is much worse than the overall unemployment rate for college grads of 2.5% (though that includes graduate degrees...and still seems impossibly low). The national rate overall was 4.5% (which is quite good). A few others:
Mechanical Engineering: 3.2%
Physics: 3.7%
Chemistry: 4.5%
English: 6%
Political Science: 5.7%
Apple_Mango said:
Math is required for all students in schools for America. I was wondering is this attempt is only done simply to get people into math because there is a math shortage.
We recently had a long thread about that (required math in school). Similar arguments to what you are angling toward can be made about any subject that students don't want to learn.