Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this a photograph of water on Mars?

1. Oct 22, 2015 #1
    An article on Google News intrigued me today: http://www.express.co.uk/news/scien...ter-FLOWING-surface-Mars-Nasa-Red-Planet-life

The man who pointed it out is editor for one of those conspiracy sites, but that doesn't make this particular claim any less convincing.

Mars-Water-613745.jpg

Is there other things on Mars that would create an affect like that? It's certainly not a shadow, and it appears like it came from a liquid, if you look at the sand and the shadows you can tell that it took the path of least resistance. I also notice at the end of it, there appears to be a small ridge where the water has pushed sand into shape, actually, if you look at other places along that ridge, I see the same affect.

Obviously without spectral analysis, one can not say it's water, but I see no way that shape can not be liquid, are there any other possible liquids on Mars?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook