Mars Water: The Truth Behind Its Blue Color and Recent Discovery Revealed

In summary, the blue color of water on Earth is due to the sky being blue and the water's surface reflecting the sky. If there was a big lake of water on Mars, the color of the water would likely be red due to the atmosphere containing a lot of dust which affects the color of light that gets to the water.
Delta2
Insights Author
Gold Member
I guess water in Earth , in big lakes or seas, looks blue because the Earth's sky is blue and the water's surface reflects the sky.

Now if there would be some big lake of water at Mars, how the water surface colour would be? I guess the colour of Mar's sky which is red (right or wrong?)

It is just that the greek version of msn.com posted some news with a lake been discovered in Mars (beneath some sort of ice) and it shows the lake's colour (or the ice's colour) in blue, I guess that colour in the photo is added in post production.

Here is the news link, the text is greek but I suppose you all can see the photo
https://www.msn.com/el-gr/news/tech...καλύφθηκε-στον-άρη/ar-BBLby57?ocid=spartandhp

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Your assumption is not correct. The light falling on the water surface consist of all wavelengths, i.e. it is "white light". The reason why deep water in oceans appear blue is because majority of longer wavelengths are absorbed, and mostly blue is scattered and reflected.

Likes unusually_wrong and pinball1970
lomidrevo said:
Your assumption is not correct. The light falling on the water surface consist of all wavelengths, i.e. it is "white light". The reason why deep water in oceans appear blue is because majority of longer wavelengths are absorbed, and mostly blue is scattered and reflected.
Well your argument seems sort of correct but when you saying that my assumption is not correct, you mean that the colour of the sky has minimal effect on the colour of the water ?

And what is the colour of Martian Sky by the way ?

Delta² said:
Well your argument seems sort of correct but when you saying that my assumption is not correct, you mean that the colour of the sky has minimal effect on the colour of the water ?

Yes, that's what it means. The color of water mainly results from direct sunlight (which isn't blue) passing the water before and after it is scattered or reflected to the observer.

Delta² said:
And what is the colour of Martian Sky by the way ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraterrestrial_skies#The_color_of_the_Martian_sky

The martian atmosphere appears reddish because it contains a large amount of dust. A popular explanation is this dust has a high iron oxide [rust] concentr, but, this only partially accounts for the reddish hue. It has as much to do with particle size, which selectively affects the color of light that makes it through the atmosphere., and also accounts for how it appears at frequencies other than the visible spectrum.

Likes pinball1970
Given this filtering effect, can we conclude that water on Mars would in fact have a reddish tint, given that most of the light reaching the water is red?

Likes Delta2
What about the lake on Mars, that nobody cared about in this thread, this is huge discovery!
Is it true or fake news?!
Do you have english version?

Deepblu said:
What about the lake on Mars,
It's a mile underground so isn't going to reflect anything.

Likes pinball1970

1. What is the blue color of Mars water and how does it differ from Earth's water?

The blue color of Mars water is due to the presence of iron oxides in the planet's soil. This gives the water a distinct hue compared to Earth's water, which is primarily caused by the reflection of the sky.

2. Is Mars water safe for human consumption?

Currently, there is no evidence that suggests Mars water is safe for human consumption. The water found on the planet is highly saline and contains various chemicals, making it unsuitable for drinking without significant treatment.

3. How recent is the discovery of water on Mars?

The discovery of water on Mars has been an ongoing process, with the first evidence of water ice on the planet dating back to the 1970s. However, more recent discoveries, such as the presence of liquid water on the planet, have been made in the last decade.

4. What does the presence of water on Mars mean for potential life on the planet?

The presence of water on Mars is a crucial aspect in determining the potential for life on the planet. Water is an essential element for life as we know it, and its presence on Mars increases the possibility of finding microbial life or evidence of past life on the planet.

5. How does NASA plan to study Mars water and its potential impact on future missions?

NASA has several upcoming missions that will focus on studying Mars water, such as the Mars 2020 rover and the Mars Sample Return mission. These missions will collect samples of Mars water and soil, which will be analyzed for potential habitability and any potential risks to future human missions to the planet.