Is this a standing wave? What is it?

In summary, standing waves are created when two waves of the same frequency and amplitude interfere with each other, resulting in a pattern of nodes and antinodes. These waves can be identified by their stationary appearance and equal distances between nodes and antinodes. Standing waves are caused by the interference of waves and differ from traveling waves in their energy transfer. Real-life examples of standing waves can be found in musical instruments, sound waves, and natural phenomena.
black phantom
Hi,
I am trying to figure out how to mathematically described a wave or a pulse, I do not actually know what to call it. I will try to describe it - a particle shown like a circle with a tsunami type wave going around the particle. Please help me define something like this mathematically.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi black phantom

do you mean like this ? ...

attachment.php?attachmentid=57735&stc=1&d=1365633381.jpg

the maths of that isn't my forte, but if that's the motion type you are after, I'm sure there's a few much brighter than me, maths guys, that will help you further :)

Dave

Attachments

• particle-motion.jpg
    particle-motion.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 473

1. What is a standing wave?

A standing wave is a type of wave that forms when two waves of the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. This creates a pattern of nodes and antinodes that appear to be stationary, hence the name "standing" wave.

2. How can I identify a standing wave?

A standing wave can be identified by its characteristic pattern of nodes and antinodes. Nodes are points where the amplitude of the wave is always zero, while antinodes are points where the amplitude is at its maximum. The distance between nodes and antinodes is always equal to half the wavelength of the wave.

3. What causes a standing wave?

A standing wave is caused by the interference of two waves with the same frequency and amplitude. This can occur when a wave is reflected back upon itself, such as when a wave travels down a string and meets its fixed end. The reflected wave interferes with the original wave, creating a standing wave pattern.

4. How does a standing wave differ from a traveling wave?

A standing wave differs from a traveling wave in that it does not appear to move or transfer energy from one point to another. Instead, the energy of a standing wave is contained within the wave and oscillates between the nodes and antinodes. In contrast, a traveling wave transfers energy as it moves through a medium.

5. What are some real-life examples of standing waves?

Some real-life examples of standing waves include the vibrations of a guitar string, sound waves in a closed organ pipe, and the electromagnetic waves in a microwave oven. Standing waves are also commonly observed in nature, such as in ocean waves and seismic waves during earthquakes.