How can standing waves be created on a string fixed at both?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of standing waves and their relationship to stringed musical instruments. The speaker is seeking help in understanding the role of fixed ends in the generation of standing waves. They also mention that standing waves can be generated by driving the string in the middle or by being already present.
MP2491
Hello. So I am having some trouble answering this question and I would really appreciate some help.

I figure I should probably first define what standing waves are and I know that they are the result of the repeated interference of two waves of identical frequency while moving in opposite directions along the same medium or in this case, the string.

Im just not sure how to answer the question. I know that in order the there to be a standing wave, the string needs to be moving or vibrating but I am not sure where fixed at both ends comes in.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the string is fixed at both ends then the waves cannot have been generated by wiggling the endpoints. They could have been generated by driving the string in the middle (for instance with a guitar pick). Or they could have always been there.

Hello, are you familiar with any stringed musical instruments?

1. What is a standing wave?

A standing wave is a pattern of vibration in a medium, such as a string, that appears to be stationary. This is created by a combination of two waves traveling in opposite directions with the same frequency and amplitude.

2. How can standing waves be created on a string fixed at both ends?

Standing waves can be created on a string fixed at both ends by plucking or striking the string with a force, causing it to vibrate at its natural frequency. This causes the reflected waves to interfere with the original wave, creating a standing wave pattern.

3. What factors affect the formation of standing waves on a string?

The formation of standing waves on a string is affected by the tension of the string, the length of the string, and the density of the string. These factors determine the natural frequency at which the string will vibrate and the nodes and antinodes that will be created.

4. Can standing waves be created on a string with only one fixed end?

No, standing waves require two fixed points on a string to form. If there is only one fixed end, the reflected wave cannot interfere with the original wave, resulting in a continuous wave rather than a standing wave.

5. What practical applications do standing waves on a string have?

Standing waves on a string have a variety of applications, including musical instruments such as guitars and violins, where they create different notes and harmonics. They are also used in various scientific experiments to study wave behavior and can be used to measure properties of the string, such as tension and length.