1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Is this condition for infinite roots wrong?

1. Jun 6, 2016 #1
    I found a strange theorem and a doubtful method in Stroud's book "Engineering mathematics":
    asymptote.JPG
    I think, every polynomial equation will have two infinite roots (at +infinity and -infinity).
    I also think that this method of the determination of an asymptote gives wrong results if f(x) is a polynomial with a high degree.
    Are the theorem and the method in this book wrong?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That doesn't make sense. Every polynomial has a largest power, so every polynomial has an infinite number of infinite roots?
    Multiplying the equation by yn generates additional solutions for y=0, so it is not surprising that they produce unmathematical solutions for y=0 later. Of course y=0 is a solution to an equation where you multiplied both sides by 0.

4. Jun 6, 2016 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This looks strange but it is kind of correct. It seems the author absolutely butchered the method though. I think what the author likes to do is to compute infinite point and asymptotes in projective geometry using homogeneous coordinates. That uses a method kind of similar to what is in the OP, but the exact explanation of the book is very doubtful.

Something of the following would be correct though: consider ##y = \frac{x+2}{3x + 2}##. Then we have
    $$3xy + 2y - x - 2 = 0$$
    which gives rise to a homogeneous equation
    $$3xy + 2yz - xz - 2z^2=0.$$
    The points at infinity correspond to ##z=0##, which yields ##x=0## or ##y=0##. This gives us a result that the function has two asymptotes: one parallel to ##x=0## and one parallel to ##y=0## which is indeed correct.

5. Jun 6, 2016 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Statement is strange. if [itex]a_0\ and\ a_1[/itex] are both 0, then the first term should be [itex]a_2x^{n-2}[/itex].

6. Jun 7, 2016 #5
    Thank you all. Stroud's textbook is mostly very good, but I stuck on that place.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted