Is this description of a black hole accurate?

In summary: although the tidal forces at the Event Horizon ARE, as you say, weak enough to allow you to travel beyond it without getting spaghetified right away, you will never come out again, so there is no such thing as "travel through" a black hole and once you are inside the EH, you cannot stop yourself from reaching the singularity, and you will be spaghetified before you get there.Thanks.I found the guys website, and he got pages dedicated to exploring "inside black holes" with words and supercomputers. However, nothing about the plasma thing,...although the tidal forces at the Event Horizon ARE, as you say, weak enough to allow you to travel beyond it without getting spaghetified right
Nerophysics
Hi

I am currently writing a sci fi book for children, and I would like to know how it would feel to travel through a supermassive black hole.

In this link a scientist claims that there is superhot dense plasma in black holes. I wonder if his description of a supermassive black hole, and how it would be to travel through it, is accurate? And is the "super hot dense plasma" quark-gluon plasma? For instance, he claims that we would not be "torned apart" if we entered a supermassive black hole. He says that the tidal forces are weak enough for you to travel deep into the black hole.

Physics news on Phys.org
Elonmusk said:
Hi

I am currently writing a sci fi book for children, and I would like to know how it would feel to travel through a supermassive black hole.

In this link a scientist claims that there is superhot dense plasma in black holes. I wonder if his description of a supermassive black hole, and how it would be to travel through it, is accurate? And is the "super hot dense plasma" quark-gluon plasma? For instance, he claims that we would not be "torned apart" if we entered a supermassive black hole. He says that the tidal forces are weak enough for you to travel deep into the black hole.

Although the tidal forces at the Event Horizon ARE, as you say, weak enough to allow you to travel beyond it without getting spaghetified right away, you will never come out again, so there is no such thing as "travel through" a black hole and once you are inside the EH, you cannot stop yourself from reaching the singularity, and you will be spaghetified before you get there.

phinds said:
Although the tidal forces at the Event Horizon ARE, as you say, weak enough to allow you to travel beyond it without getting spaghetified right away, you will never come out again, so there is no such thing as "travel through" a black hole and once you are inside the EH, you cannot stop yourself from reaching the singularity, and you will be spaghetified before you get there.
Hi

The scientist actually claims that you can travel inside a black hole without being spagetthified - safely until you reach its depths where superheated plasma will kill.

@23:25 you can hear the explanation.

Thanks

Elonmusk said:
Hi

The scientist actually claims that you can travel inside a black hole without being spagetthified - safely until you reach its depths where superheated plasma will kill.

@23:25 you can hear the explanation.

Thanks
There is no evidence for a super heated plasma at the center, so the consensus is that you will be sphagettified once you are deep enough inside.

Elonmusk said:
The scientist actually claims that you can travel inside a black hole without being spagetthified
That is correct - but you can't survive in there for a long time.
Elonmusk said:
safely until you reach its depths where superheated plasma will kill.
I don't think plasma is a good word here. We don't know what is inside, but we know it won't look like a normal plasma. And tidal forces will kill you first.

mfb said:
That is correct - but you can't survive in there for a long time.I don't think plasma is a good word here. We don't know what is inside, but we know it won't look like a normal plasma. And tidal forces will kill you first.

So the scientist claims that we can travel past the event horizon without being torn apart, and:

"But, deep down inside the black hole, the centrifugal force of the rotation of the black hole provides repulsion. If their is any matter at all inside it then stuff that is falling in [you or me] will tend to collide with stuff that is trying to get out, and the result of that collision of energy is a choatic maelstrom of superhot dense plasma, which will roast you."

I wonder if that is true? And, if you can find plasma like this in the black hole, is it the so called quark-gluon plasma or something else?

Thank you

phinds said:
Although the tidal forces at the Event Horizon ARE, as you say, weak enough to allow you to travel beyond it without getting spaghetified right away, you will never come out again, so there is no such thing as "travel through" a black hole and once you are inside the EH, you cannot stop yourself from reaching the singularity, and you will be spaghettified before you get there.
In a Schwarzschild black hole, you must proceed toward the singularity, but in a rotating black hole, which is what they're talking about in the video, it's possible to avoid the singularity.

Last edited:
Nerophysics said:
I found the guys website, and he got pages dedicated to exploring "inside black holes" with words and supercomputers. However, nothing about the plasma thing, yet.

http://jila.colorado.edu/~ajsh/insidebh/intro.html

Hi. See below*

It happens in any black hole that has an inner horizon, which means any rotating or charged black hole. Schwarzschild is the only exception. The conditions are hyper-relativistic and out of equilibrium. Undoubtedly there will be collisions similar to those in RHIC or LHC, producing localized collision regions where there is a quark-gluon plasma. Generically collision energies will be far higher than any earth-based accelerator. Basically, any hyper-energetic collision you could imagine probably happens in the inflationary regime near the inner horizon.

*I've always wanted to say that. An homage to Peter.

Likes Nerophysics
tionis said:
Hi. See below*
*I've always wanted to say that. An homage to Peter.
Thank you!

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and its core collapses, creating a singularity with infinite density and zero volume.

2. How do we detect black holes?

We cannot directly observe black holes since they do not emit any light. However, we can infer their presence through their effect on nearby matter. We can observe the gravitational effects of black holes on the motion of stars and gas around them, as well as the emission of X-rays and other forms of radiation from the matter that is being pulled into the black hole.

3. Is the description of a black hole accurate?

The description of a black hole is based on our current understanding of physics and astrophysics. However, since we have never directly observed a black hole, there may be aspects that are still unknown or inaccurately described. Further research and observations are needed to confirm and refine our understanding of black holes.

4. Can anything escape from a black hole?

No, nothing can escape from a black hole once it has passed its event horizon, which is the point of no return. This includes matter, light, and even information. However, some theories suggest that there may be a way for information to escape from a black hole, but this is still a topic of ongoing research and debate.

5. Are black holes dangerous?

Black holes are not actively dangerous to us since they are incredibly far away from Earth. However, if we were to get too close to a black hole, the intense gravitational pull would stretch and spaghettify our bodies, causing certain death. Additionally, black holes can have a significant impact on the evolution of galaxies and the universe as a whole.