Is this plane correctly drawn?

• B
  • Thread starter momentum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of drawing a crystal structure plane (2,0,0) in a 3D coordinate system. It is mentioned that (2,0,0) is not a single plane, but rather an infinite set of parallel planes. The planes are represented by (n_x, n_y, n_z) and the ith member crosses the x-axis at i/n_x, where the unit cell's edges are of length 1. This notation is used in crystallography to denote a set of planes that are parallel to the y-z plane and spaced by half the length of the x side of the unit cell.
momentum
Hi,
I was trying to draw a plan 2,0,0 in X,Y,Z co-ordinate system

Is it correctly drawn ?

2017-05-07_1229.png

I think ...I'm wrong in drawing this plane

I think I'm wrong because each point in this plane has non zero y & z value...they are not having y=0& z=0 everywhere all the time although x=2 everywhere on this plane...so my drawing to plane (2,0,0) is wrong.

Could you please correct my analysis ?
If I'm wrong then what is correct way to draw the plane (2,0,0) ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
momentum said:
Hi,
I was trying to draw a plan 2,0,0 in X,Y,Z co-ordinate system

Is it correctly drawn ?

View attachment 199625

I think ...I'm wrong in drawing this plane

I think I'm wrong because each point in this plane has non zero y & z value...they are not having y=0& z=0 everywhere all the time although x=2 everywhere on this plane...so my drawing to plane (2,0,0) is wrong.

Could you please correct my analysis ?
If I'm wrong then what is correct way to draw the plane (2,0,0) ?

(2,0,0) is a point on 3D space.You draw x=2 plane

Hi, you must specify better your plane because there are infinity planes by a point ##(2,0,0)##. Do you want the plane passed by ##(2,0,0)## and parallel to the plane ##yz##?
Ssnow

I agree we're missing some information here. Can you give us some more information? The problem specification in full, or some context around why you're trying to do this?

I'm trying to draw a crystal structure plane (200)

I'm not sure ..how to draw that

I did wonder if that was it.

(2,0,0) is not a single plane; rather it's an infinite set of parallel planes. The planes ##(n_x,n_y,n_z)## are the set of planes whose ith member crosses the x-axis at ##i/n_x##, working in units where the unit cell's edges are of length 1. Similarly for y and z.

Does that help?

Last edited:
Ssnow said:
there are infinity planes by a point (2,0,0).
what do you mean by this ? can you show me how they look like ?
I just want to visualize it.

Ibix said:
I did wonder if that was it.

(2,0,0) is not a single plane; rather it's an infinite set of parallel planes. The planes ##(n_x,n_y,n_z)## are the set of planes whose ith member crosses the x-axis at ##i/n_x##, working in units where the unit cell's edges are of length 1. Similarly for y and z.

Does that help?

very much confusing...would it be possible to post an example with related to this ?

momentum said:
very much confusing...would it be possible to post an example with related to this ?
Pick an ##i##, say ##i=1##. What are ##n_x##, ##n_y## and ##n_z## in your case? Therefore, where does the ##i##th plane cross each of the axes? What does "at infinity" mean in practice?

Edit: I'm presuming you know what a unit cell is?

Ibix said:
Pick an ##i##, say ##i=1##. What are ##n_x##, ##n_y## and ##n_z## in your case? Therefore, where does the ##i##th plane cross each of the axes? What does "at infinity" mean in practice?
okay..let me try that

i=1 i.e 1st plane
Ibix said:
What are nxnxn_x, nynyn_y and nznzn_z in your case

its 2,0,0

Ibix said:
Therefore, where does the iiith plane cross each of the axes?

1/2 , 1/0 , 1/0
=>
.5 , infinite , infinite

so I conclude its one plane which passes through at x=.5 and crosses y & z at infinite i.e parallel to YZ

But you said
Ibix said:
(2,0,0) is not a single plane; rather it's an infinite set of parallel planes.

I'm getting confused more.

Yes - you've worked out one of the planes correctly. Now repeat for all ##i=\ldots, -2, -1, 0 , 1, 2,\ldots## and you have the complete set of planes. Of course, since this is crystallography and everything repeats periodically you'd only be interested in the ##i## that gives a plane that passes through the unit cell. Outside that you are just repeating yourself.

Do remember that unit cells may not have all sides the same length.

okay ...that looks fine.

one more question :

Ibix said:
The planes (nx,ny,nz)(nx,ny,nz)(n_x,n_y,n_z) are the set of planes whose ith member crosses the x-axis at i/nxi/nxi/n_x, working in units where the unit cell's edges are of length 1.

Is it a theorem ..if so what it is called ?
It would be interesting to know how it is derived where the plane crosses the axis.

one more question ..

Ibix said:
Yes - you've worked out one of the planes correctly. Now repeat for all ##i=\ldots, -2, -1, 0 , 1, 2,\ldots## and you have the complete set of planes.

all this happening in a specific unit cell ? i.e are we considering in this example i=...-2, -1, 0 , 1, 2... for a given unit cell ? is it correct ?

In your example there are only two planes in the unit cell, corresponding to ##i=0,1##. The ##i=2## plane is in the same place in the next unit cell along as the ##i=0## plane is in this one. I don't think there's any kind of theorem here. It's just a shorthand notation for a set of planes that uses the natural periodicity of a crystal to save on the writing. Usually the interest is that the crystal can be cut along planes (cleavage planes) and you can just say "this crystal cleaves along the (1,1,1) plane", or whatever.

okay...thats nice...I understand .

But ...
Ibix said:
I don't think there's any kind of theorem here

I don't understand how do you arrive at this part
Ibix said:
whose ith member crosses the x-axis at i/nxi/nxi/n_x
that division ...thats not clear.

It's just what crystallographers mean by the (2,0,0) plane. They mean the set of planes parallel to the y-z plane spaced by half the llength of the x side of the unit cell. It's just a convenient notation for a concept that is useful in crystallography. It isn't something you can derive from anywhere - it's just something you need to learn.

1. Is it important for a plane to be drawn accurately?

Yes, it is important for a plane to be drawn accurately because it affects the aerodynamics and stability of the aircraft. A small error in the drawing could lead to disastrous consequences during flight.

2. What elements should be included in a correct plane drawing?

A correct plane drawing should include the fuselage, wings, tail, engines, landing gear, and any other necessary components. It should also accurately depict the proportions and dimensions of the aircraft.

3. How can I tell if a plane is correctly drawn?

You can tell if a plane is correctly drawn by comparing it to a reference image or using measurements to check the proportions and angles. It is also important to make sure that all the necessary elements are included in the drawing.

4. What are some common mistakes when drawing a plane?

Some common mistakes when drawing a plane include incorrect proportions, missing or incorrectly placed elements, and not taking into account the perspective and angles of the aircraft. It is also important to pay attention to small details, such as the shape of the wingtips or the placement of the engines.

5. Can a computer program accurately draw a plane?

Yes, with the advancement of technology, computer programs can accurately draw a plane. However, it is still important for the person using the program to have a good understanding of plane structure and proportions to ensure an accurate drawing.