Is time travel to the future easier than the past?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the possibility of time travel and the challenges and limitations that come with it. The individual in the conversation was trying to understand the concept and suggested using the bending of time and space to travel into the future. The conversation also touched on the idea of avoiding the grandfather paradox in time travel. However, these discussions did not meet the forum's rules on speculative posts and personal theories. Therefore, the individual was advised to read the forum rules and post in the appropriate forum for specific questions that meet the guidelines.
Genecks
So, I've been learning about quantum mechanics as of late.

If I understand correctly, there would be a large amount of energy required to "turn back the clock" on all particles throughout Earth (assume that I don't change the position of satellites or the stars) in order to go back in time.

However, if I time travel into the future, all I have to do is maintain a somewhat fixed position on Earth while bending or passing time and space around me until I get ahead into the point in future that I want. Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Genecks said:
So, I've been learning about quantum mechanics as of late.

If I understand correctly, there would be a large amount of energy required to "turn back the clock" on all particles throughout Earth (assume that I don't change the position of satellites or the stars) in order to go back in time.

However, if I time travel into the future, all I have to do is maintain a somewhat fixed position on Earth while bending or passing time and space around me until I get ahead into the point in future that I want. Is that right?

Time travel into the past is not possible at all. Time travel into the future is possible at the rate of one second per second ... as you are doing right now.

You can "jump ahead" into the future of a given location by traveling away from it and back again at a substantial portion of the speed of light, a feat that is not now possible with our technology and will not likely BE possible (in any way meaningful for human travel) for centuries.

I don't see that. However, I think I'll take this thread to another board here at PF.

Where should I go to talk about time travel on PF?

In able to go to the future, why can't time and space simply bend around me while I attempt to maintain a particular position on Earth? The way I see it, if I did bend time and space around me, unfortunately, I could end up in outer space while the Earth is still rotating around the sun or perhaps end up in the Atlantic ocean or something.

I guess from my viewpoint, then, I'd want to be in outer space to make sure my time machine doesn't end up in the ocean or some obscure place. Also, I think I've found a way out of the grandfather paradox.

Last edited:
Sorry, but this thread does not meet forum rules. Please read our rules on overly speculative posts and personal theories, then if you have a specific question that meets our guidelines, you may post in the appropriate forum, based on your question.

1. Is time travel to the future possible?

At this point in time, time travel to the future is possible according to the theory of relativity. However, it would require traveling at incredibly high speeds close to the speed of light, which is currently not achievable with our current technology.

2. Why is time travel to the future easier than the past?

The main reason why time travel to the future is easier than the past is because it does not violate the laws of physics, specifically the law of causality. In other words, traveling to the future does not create any paradoxes or change events in the past, whereas traveling to the past has the potential to alter the timeline and create paradoxes.

3. Can time travel to the future be done without a time machine?

Technically, time travel to the future can occur without a time machine if one were to travel at incredibly high speeds close to the speed of light, as mentioned earlier. However, this method would require advanced technology and is not currently possible for humans.

4. Are there any potential risks or consequences of time travel to the future?

While time travel to the future may seem like an exciting prospect, there are some potential risks and consequences. For example, if you were to travel far into the future, you may find that the world has drastically changed and may not be suitable for human life. Additionally, there is always the risk of getting stuck in the future and not being able to return to your original time.

5. Could time travel to the future have any impact on the present?

According to the theory of relativity, time travel to the future would not have any impact on the present. This is because the future is constantly changing and is not set in stone. Additionally, traveling to the future would not alter events that have already occurred in the past, as they have already happened and cannot be changed.