Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is universe expanding or contracting?

1. Jul 22, 2010 #1
    gravity pulls two galaxies. Andromeda and Milky Way are going to collide in few billion years. this seems to show that everything in the universe is moving close to each other i.e. contracting. but, since the universe was formed, it has been expanding due to dark energy. how do you explain this? secondly, are they (force by dark energy and gravity) in equlibrium? if not which one is dominating?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2010 #2

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The universe is definitely expanding. However, the expansion is only dominant on large scales. At small scales, gravity wins out, and that is why Andromeda and the Milky Way are getting closer together. Think about it this way... if I drop a ball, it falls to the group due to the earth's gravity. Does that mean the universe isn't expanding?

This is a false statement. First, dark energy was essentially negligible in the early stages of the universe. Second, even if there was no dark energy, the universe would still be expanding. The effect of dark energy is to cause the universe to expand at an accelerating rate.

Well the universe continues to expand at an accelerating rate, so you could say that dark energy is dominating.

4. Jul 22, 2010 #3
    Thank you nicksauce. it was a very well written answer. i also discovered a new fact in the process. (the one that was false).

5. Jul 23, 2010 #4
    That depends on your POV. From inside it looks expanding, from outside it looks contracting.

6. Jul 23, 2010 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:confused: What does this mean?

7. Jul 23, 2010 #6
    Don't bother.

Actually I was waiting for some clever response like "there is no outside to the universe".

8. Jul 23, 2010 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Ok....so what is the point then?

9. Jul 24, 2010 #8
    There was no point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook