Is WD 1445+017 b the remains of a star?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter AdamAutism1998
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Star
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
AdamAutism1998
Messages
28
Reaction score
1
I've just wondered how it is possible for a planet so close to a white dwarf could exist. Yes, the atmosphere of the star during the Red Giant stage would have acted as counterbalance to mass loss, forcing it into a closer orbit. But it would have vaporized any normal planet or gas giant. Let alone, let it last so long, that it only orbits 520,000 miles from the star, or much closer than the star's original radius. Could it be the remains of a massive brown dwarf? Is there any evidence of what the planet could have been? I just want to find out how this scenario could be truly made. Does anyone know anything about the planet? I want to find out more...
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org