Is x an Accumulation Point of A in the Real Numbers?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter autre
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Point Proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 9K views
autre
Messages
116
Reaction score
0
I need to show that if every neighborhood of some [itex]x\in A[/itex] for some [itex]A\subseteq\mathbb{R}[/itex] contains infinitely many points of [itex]A[/itex], then [itex]x[/itex] is an accumulation point of [itex]A[/itex].

So far, I have:

Let [itex]A\subseteq\mathbb{R}[/itex]. I want to show that if every neighborhood of [itex]x\in A[/itex] has infinitely many points of A, there exists a [itex]y\in\mathbb{R}[/itex] such that [itex]y\in((x-\epsilon,x+\epsilon)\bigcap A[/itex]\{x}).

Am I on the right track?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm having some trouble finding that [itex]y[/itex].

Let A⊆R. Define the neighborhood of x∈A as (x−ϵ,x+ϵ) [itex]\forall\epsilon>0[/itex]. Since x∈A, (x−ϵ,x+ϵ)⋂A is not empty. Let y∈(x−ϵ,x+ϵ)⋂A...how do I show that [itex]y\not=x[/itex]?

Thanks!
 
autre said:
I'm having some trouble finding that [itex]y[/itex].

Let A⊆R. Define the neighborhood of x∈A as (x−ϵ,x+ϵ) [itex]\forall\epsilon>0[/itex]. Since x∈A, (x−ϵ,x+ϵ)⋂A is not empty. Let y∈(x−ϵ,x+ϵ)⋂A...how do I show that [itex]y\not=x[/itex]?

You can't in general. It could very well be that you chose y=x. Your choice doesn't disallow this. However, you know that (x−ϵ,x+ϵ)⋂A is infinite. So it doesn't only contain x, does it??
 
However, you know that (x−ϵ,x+ϵ)⋂A is infinite.

Right, but don't I have to prove that this intersection is infinite? I'm trying to show that x is an accumulation point, but (x−ϵ,x+ϵ)⋂A being infinite presupposes x being an accumulation point, right?
 
autre said:
if every neighborhood of some [itex]x\in A[/itex] for some [itex]A\subseteq\mathbb{R}[/itex] contains infinitely many points of [itex]A[/itex], then [itex]x[/itex] is an accumulation point of [itex]A[/itex].

I might be missing something, but you're trying to prove the definition of an accumulation point (which you can't do). The assumption is that every neighborhood of some x in A contains infinitely many points of A. Therefore, it is an accumulation point by definition.
 
autre said:
Right, but don't I have to prove that this intersection is infinite? I'm trying to show that x is an accumulation point, but (x−ϵ,x+ϵ)⋂A being infinite presupposes x being an accumulation point, right?

Isn't that given?? The first line of the post is

if every neighborhood of some x∈A for some A⊆R contains infinitely many points of A

So you are given that the neigbourhood (x−ϵ,x+ϵ) contains infinitely many points of A.

Or am I totally misunderstanding your question?
 
Or am I totally misunderstanding your question?

No, you're right. the proof seemed too simple so I thought I was missing something. Makes sense now.