Isomorphism types of abelian groups

In summary, there are 12 possible isomorphism types of abelian groups of orders 74 and 800. For 74, Z74 and Z2*Z37 (by Chinese remainder theorem) are possible isomorphism types. For 800, the fundamental theorem of finitely generated abelian groups states that there are two abelian groups of order 25 (Z25 and Z5xZ5), and for 2^5 there are 6 abelian groups (Z32, Z16xZ2, Z8xZ4, Z4xZ4xZ2, Z4xZ2xZ2xZ2, and Z2xZ2xZ2xZ2
cummings12332
wrtie down the possible isomorphism types of abelian groups of orders 74 and 800

then for 74=2*37 then Z(74) is isomorphism to Z2 * Z37 (by chinese remainder theorem) then for 74 , 2 we have Z74 and Z2*Z37 (i am not sure it is right or wrong
then for 800 i know i should apply the fundamental theorem of fintely generated abelian groups, but i am not quite understand the methods of it , can someone help me the 800 case?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does the fundamental theorem say? What have you tried so far?

Number Nine said:
What does the fundamental theorem say? What have you tried so far?

for 800=2^5*5^2 then there are two abelian groups of order 25:Z25,Z5xZ5, for2^5 ,we have 6 abelian groups : Z32,Z16xZ2,Z8xZ4,Z4xZ4xZ2,Z4xZ2xZ2xZ2,Z2xZ2xZ2xZ2xZ2

so we get 12 different groups:
Z25xZ32
Z25xZ16xZ2
Z25xZ8xZ4
Z25xZ4xZ4xZ2
Z25xZ4xZ2xZ2xZ2
Z25xZ2xZ2xZ2xZ2xZ2
Z5xZ5xZ32
Z5xZ5xZ16xZ2
Z5xZ5xZ8xZ4
Z5xZ5xZ4xZ4xZ2
Z5xZ5xZ4xZ2xZ2xZ2
Z5xZ5xZ2xZ2xZ2xZ2xZ2

1. What is an isomorphism type of an abelian group?

An isomorphism type of an abelian group is the classification of a group based on its structural properties, such as the number and order of its elements and the relationships between them. It is a way of categorizing groups that have the same underlying structure, but may be represented differently.

2. How do you determine the isomorphism type of an abelian group?

The isomorphism type of an abelian group can be determined by examining its structure and identifying any patterns or similarities with other known groups. This can be done by looking at the elements of the group, their orders, and the group's operations. A group can also be compared to other groups using isomorphisms, which are bijective homomorphisms that preserve the structure of the groups.

3. What are some examples of isomorphism types of abelian groups?

Some examples of isomorphism types of abelian groups include cyclic groups, direct products of cyclic groups, and finitely generated free abelian groups. Other examples include finite abelian groups, p-groups, and torsion-free groups.

4. How are isomorphism types of abelian groups used in mathematics?

Isomorphism types of abelian groups are used in various areas of mathematics, including algebra, number theory, and topology. They help to classify and understand the properties of groups, and can be used to prove theorems and solve problems. Isomorphism types also play a key role in the study of finite abelian groups and their subgroups.

5. Can an abelian group have more than one isomorphism type?

No, an abelian group cannot have more than one isomorphism type. Each abelian group has a unique isomorphism type, which is determined by its structural properties. However, different groups may have the same isomorphism type, meaning they have the same underlying structure and can be considered equivalent in some contexts.