Understand Isotropic Tensors for Physics

In summary, the individual is seeking help with understanding a specific equation regarding tensors in order to catch up on the math needed for their switch from engineering to physics. The equation is important for later topics in the book and they are looking for a proof or explanation of it. They provide a link for additional resources and thank the responders for their help.
Michael_McGovern
Hello everyone, this seems like a great forum here with a lot of knowlegable people and I was hoping someone could help me out with this question. I'm an engineering student and I've recently decided to switch into physics. Now I'm trying to catch up on the math I'm going to need, so I'm studying tensors. The book I'm using says
"It can be shown that the most general isotropic tensor of order four is of the form [tex]\eta_{iklm}=A\delta_{ik}\delta_{lm} + B\delta_{il}\delta_{km} +C\delta_{im}\delta_{kl}[/tex]"
At the time I read that I just skipped over it because I couldn't figure out how to get that and it didn't seem that important. But later on in the book they have a whole section on fluid mechanics where they use this to derive the Navier-Stokes equations and then from there on everything they do involves these equations, so its very frustrating not to understand this one little equation because it basically means I don't follow the whole section. Could anyone tell me where I could find a proof of this or outline how the proof goes? Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Possibly helpful:
http://www.ig.utexas.edu/people/students/classes/spring02/geo391/Lecture1.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
robphy said:
Possibly helpful:
http://www.ig.utexas.edu/people/students/classes/spring02/geo391/Lecture1.pdf
Very helpful. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Except that Lecture 1 missed that the permutation tensor is isotropic of rank 3.

1. What is an isotropic tensor?

An isotropic tensor is a mathematical object used in physics to describe a physical quantity that is the same in all directions. It is symmetric, meaning that the order of its components does not matter, and its components are independent of the coordinate system used.

2. What is the significance of isotropic tensors in physics?

Isotropic tensors are important in physics because they allow us to describe physical quantities that have the same value in all directions. This is useful for understanding phenomena such as the behavior of fluids, the properties of crystals, and the distribution of energy in a system.

3. How are isotropic tensors used in studying materials?

In materials science, isotropic tensors are used to describe the mechanical, thermal, and electrical properties of materials. They are particularly useful in understanding the behavior of materials under various stress and strain conditions, and in predicting their response to external forces.

4. Can isotropic tensors be used to describe non-symmetric systems?

No, isotropic tensors can only be used to describe systems that have the same properties in all directions. For non-symmetric systems, anisotropic tensors are needed, which take into account the directional dependence of the physical quantity being described.

5. How are isotropic tensors related to the concept of symmetry in physics?

Isotropic tensors are a manifestation of symmetry in physics. They represent physical quantities that are the same in all directions, which is a form of rotational symmetry. In general, physical systems that exhibit symmetry are easier to analyze and understand, and isotropic tensors are a useful tool for describing this symmetry.