Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ISS Toolbag visible with the naked eye now

1. Jul 6, 2009 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Saw it with a telescope; it was magnitude 8.6, but appeared remarkably bright. The Heavens-Above prediction was about 7 arcminutes off in position and 20 seconds off in time.

4. Jul 25, 2009 #3
  5. Jul 30, 2009 #4
    Exactly where do you get the number 10 for kilometers rate of fall per day? I have recorded the numbers almost daily since last November and made a graph recently. Even now it is falling at about 4 km per day. I have read that 200 km is a height where it will decay rapidly and you may be right that 170 km could be the end. Anyhow it should be soon.

6. Jul 30, 2009 #5
    Yes, I was wrong by about a factor 2. I think the Heavens-Above website a few days ago was a bit behind updating the height, skipping one day, giving the false impression that the descent rate had increased a lot.

7. Aug 3, 2009 #6
    The toolbag has dropped in the Pacific. Had it dropped just a little later, it would have been visible over Mexico and Texas. :grumpy:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook