ISS Toolbag visible with the naked eye now

• Thread starter Count Iblis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eye Iss
In summary, a satellite with ID number 33442 is currently losing height at a rate of approximately 10 kilometers per day and is expected to lose even more rapidly when it reaches below 170 kilometers. However, recent data shows that it is currently falling at a rate of about 4 kilometers per day. The Heavens-Above website was initially incorrect in its prediction of the satellite's position and time. The satellite's toolbag has already dropped into the Pacific Ocean and narrowly missed being visible over Mexico and Texas.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Saw it with a telescope; it was magnitude 8.6, but appeared remarkably bright. The Heavens-Above prediction was about 7 arcminutes off in position and 20 seconds off in time.

Count Iblis said:
It's a few days before re-entry now:

http://heavens-above.com/PassSummary.aspx?satid=33442&lat=0&lng=0&loc=Unspecified&alt=0&tz=CET

It is losing height at a rate of about 10 km per day and when it comes below 170 km it will lose that amount of height every hour.
Exactly where do you get the number 10 for kilometers rate of fall per day? I have recorded the numbers almost daily since last November and made a graph recently. Even now it is falling at about 4 km per day. I have read that 200 km is a height where it will decay rapidly and you may be right that 170 km could be the end. Anyhow it should be soon.

Yes, I was wrong by about a factor 2. I think the Heavens-Above website a few days ago was a bit behind updating the height, skipping one day, giving the false impression that the descent rate had increased a lot.

The toolbag has dropped in the Pacific. Had it dropped just a little later, it would have been visible over Mexico and Texas. :grumpy:

What is the ISS Toolbag?

The ISS Toolbag is a container that is used to store tools and equipment on the International Space Station (ISS). It is used by astronauts during spacewalks to assist with repairs and maintenance tasks.

Why is the ISS Toolbag visible with the naked eye?

The ISS Toolbag is visible with the naked eye because it reflects sunlight as it orbits around the Earth. This makes it appear as a bright, moving point of light in the night sky.

Can anyone see the ISS Toolbag with the naked eye?

Yes, anyone can see the ISS Toolbag with the naked eye as long as they are in an area with clear, dark skies and the ISS Toolbag is passing overhead at the right time.

How often can the ISS Toolbag be seen with the naked eye?

The ISS Toolbag can be seen with the naked eye multiple times a day, depending on your location and the current orbit of the ISS. It typically appears as a bright object moving quickly across the sky.

How can I spot the ISS Toolbag with the naked eye?

To spot the ISS Toolbag with the naked eye, you can use a smartphone app or website that tracks the current location of the ISS. You can also check online for the ISS's current orbit and look for it in the night sky at the designated time.