Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Issue about factory reset my iPhone

1. Dec 7, 2016 #1
    I have a jailbroken iPhone 6 and will get it replaced with a new one. The problem is that i can't factory reset the device. Every time I tap the erase all content and settings on iPhone, the screen goes dark and flashing.

When I forced the phone rebooted, nothing was deleted. This is really weird.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Dec 14, 2016 #3
  5. Dec 14, 2016 #4

jedishrfu

There's two kinds of restores one via the phone which doesn't always work and the other via itunes. I'd go with the itunes one because beyond that there's no other way except to trash your phone and buy a new one or ask a tech geek to pull it apart and fix it via some internal connection to the OS.

The iphone OS is a stripped down version of MacOS which runs Apples mac-minis and Macbooks. The strategy is similar to Googles Android which uses a stripped down customized versions of Linux and the Java VM.

6. Dec 14, 2016 #5
    Agreed. The restore feature through the phone uses the existing OS image, which was likely damaged or corrupted by the jailbreaking process. The iTunes restore actually downloads a fresh copy of the latest OS image and overwrites everything on the phone. Good luck!

7. Dec 15, 2016 #6
    The factory reset feature no longer works on jailbroken devices. I tested it on my iPod Touch 4.
    thanks, i will check it out soon.

P.S. How do you know the wipe is complete?

8. Dec 18, 2016 #7

Evo

I don't think we should be discussing a phone that's been jailbroken, thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook