Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Issue with Green's function for Poisson's equation

1. Jan 12, 2010 #1
    Say we have a 3D function, [tex]p(x,y,z)[/tex] and we define it in terms of another function [tex]f(x,y,z)[/tex] via,

[tex]\nabla ^2 p = f.[/tex]

I know that if we are working in [tex]R^3[/tex] space (with no boundaries) we can say that,

[tex]p= \frac{-1}{4\pi}\iiint \limits_R \frac{f(x',y',z')}{\sqrt{(x-x')^2 +(y-y')^2+(z-z')^2}} dx' dy' dz' [/tex].

But here is my issue: Say that instead of [tex]R^3[/tex] , we are working in a twice-infinite channel-shaped domain called [tex]\Omega[/tex], defined via,

[tex] \Omega =\left[ (x,y,z): \quad -\infty < x,y < \infty , \quad -\frac{1}{2} \leq z \leq -\frac{1}{2} \right] .[/tex]

Call the boundary of this domain [tex]\partial \Omega[/tex]. Now say that we have no boundary conditions specified for [tex]p[/tex] on [tex]\partial \Omega[/tex], but that [tex]f[/tex] is defined on [tex] \Omega[/tex], and is not specified outside of [tex]\Omega[/tex].

I can see no reason, however, that we couldn't say that [tex] f=0[/tex] outside of [tex] \Omega[/tex], and that way define [tex] f[/tex] on all of [tex]R^3[/tex]. (But I could be missing something.) I should further specify that [tex] f=0[/tex], on the boundary [tex]\partial \Omega[/tex], so we could extend the domain of [tex]f[/tex] in thids way without sacrificing smoothness. (We can assume that [tex]f[/tex] is smooth and finite everywhere on [tex]\Omega[/tex].)

So, since [tex]p[/tex] is not defined on [tex]\partial \Omega[/tex], can I simply treat it as a function defined on [tex]R^3[/tex] with no boundaries, and hence solve for [tex]p[/tex] using the triple integral above? Or is this illegal, since [tex]f[/tex] is defined only on [tex] \Omega[/tex]?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2010 #2
    i think the problem (must) needs the boundary condition, if not it's ill-posed. The Green function of
    [tex] \nabla ^2 p = f \; , \; \text{ in } \mathbb{R} ^3 [/tex]​
    is

[tex]G(x,y,z; \xi , \eta , \theta)= \frac{-1}{4\pi} \frac{1}{ \sqrt{(x-\xi )^2 +(y-\eta )^2+(z-\theta )^2}} [/tex]
    and the Green function of the problem
    [tex] \begin{align} \nabla ^2 p &= f \; , \; \text{ in } \Omega \; \text{(defined by you)} \\
    p &= g \; , \; \text{ on } \partial \Omega
    \end{align} [/tex]
    is

[tex] G_0 (x,y,z;\xi , \eta , \theta )= \sum_{n= -\infty}^{\infty} [ G(x,y,z; \xi , \eta , k + \theta + 1/2) - G(x,y,z; \xi , \eta , k - \theta - 1/2 ) ] [/tex]
    where [tex] f \in L^2( \mathbb{R} ^3)[/tex] or [tex] f \in L^2 ( \Omega ) [/tex].

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook