It's a bit too hard to see that a thread is locked.

• Thread starter Fredrik
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the difficulty of seeing when a thread is locked and suggestions were made to add a padlock icon to make it more visible. The issue has been raised with the developers and a solution is being looked into. Currently, only mentors are able to see an editor when a thread is locked, while others will see a message stating they do not have sufficient privileges to reply.
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This is a very minor issue, but I thought I should mention it. It's a little bit too hard to see that a thread is locked. So maybe we can make it a easier. Maybe a big padlock in the title row and/or down where the reply box would have been. Or a small padlock where each reply button would have been.

Here's an example of a locked thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/when-does-1-1-2-become-false.772421/#post-4861545

At this exact moment, there's a link to this thread on the front page, because Mark44 made the last post 22 minutes ago. If you click that link, you're taken to Mark's post, and you will definitely miss the small text at the top and bottom of the page. The text "you have insufficient privileges to reply here" isn't exactly self-explanatory.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah yes, in fact, you can even use the editor and try to post. How frustrating would that be to write a long post only to find out the thread is locked. This issue has been raised by the developers and I think it will be addressed in the next release. In the meantime, I will look for a quick solution.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Ah yes, in fact, you can even use the editor and try to post. How frustrating would that be to write a long post only to find out the thread is locked. This issue has been raised by the developers and I think it will be addressed in the next release. In the meantime, I will look for a quick solution.
I see the following message in place of the editor:
(You have insufficient privileges to reply here.)

Likes Greg Bernhardt
That's what I see too. I think only mentors will see an editor down there.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What does it mean when a thread is locked?

When a thread is locked, it means that no further comments or replies can be added to the thread. This is usually done by the moderators of the forum to prevent any further discussion or arguments on the topic.

2. Why would a thread be locked?

A thread may be locked for various reasons, such as violating forum rules, containing inappropriate content, or reaching a certain number of comments or replies. Locking a thread can also be done to prevent spam or to maintain organization in the forum.

3. How can I tell if a thread is locked?

Typically, a locked thread will have a visual indicator such as a lock icon or a message stating that the thread is locked. Some forums may also have a specific color or label for locked threads. Additionally, you may try to add a comment or reply to the thread - if it is locked, you will not be able to do so.

4. Can a locked thread be unlocked?

In most cases, a locked thread cannot be unlocked by regular forum users. Only moderators or administrators have the ability to unlock a thread. However, if you believe a thread was locked in error, you can contact the forum moderators or administrators to request for it to be unlocked.

5. What should I do if I have something to add to a locked thread?

If you have something to add to a locked thread, you can try contacting the moderators or administrators of the forum and ask them to unlock the thread. Alternatively, you can create a new thread on the same topic and reference the locked thread in your post.