It's Official. Stevens to retire.

• News
  • Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
turbo
Gold Member
Justice Stevens will retire at the end of this session (June/July)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100409/ap_on_go_su_co/us_supreme_court_stevens;_ylt=An7MD4wvzv69vDQuKn8waBSs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNvampnNHVyBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwNDA5L3VzX3N1cHJlbWVfY291cnRfc3RldmVucwRjY29kZQNtb3N0cG9wdWxhcgRjcG9zAzEEcG9zAzIEcHQDaG9tZV9jb2tlBHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcnkEc2xrA3N1cHJlbWVjb3VydA-- [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

I think he'll choose the Liberal with the least resistance (and more experience this time).

turbo
Gold Member
I think he'll choose the Liberal with the least resistance (and more experience this time).
Hard to tell what his path might be. Republicans in the Senate are telegraphing a willingness to filibuster, though that might be quite problematic with Independents if it is seen as just one more attempt to deny Obama anything he wants. Gary Locke would be an interesting choice. Secretary of Commerce, already vetted by the Senate would be the first Asian-American on the bench. He's probably not on anybody's short-list, but he'd be a hard nominee for the GOP to filibuster without more backlash from Independent voters.

CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I think that the right political move would be to choose the most reasonable candidate that the Republicans would filibuster, then accuse them of obstructing.

nicksauce
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
They've been doing nothing but obstructing for the last year, and no one seems to care. What's one more?