Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

It's remarkable some of the things you lose in a divorce

1. Jan 28, 2014 #1
    Does anyone have a decent Burette, stand and clamp they would be willing to sell for a reasonable price?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2014 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh, my. :rolleyes:

Were you both scientifically inclined? If not, yeah, that is pretty remarkable.

4. Jan 28, 2014 #3
    Because we probably only live once I tend to marry well outside my usual social groups :biggrin:

5. Jan 28, 2014 #4
    :surprised As if I needed another reason not to ever get married.

6. Jan 28, 2014 #5
    :eek: NOooo...

Marriage can be is delicious, never miss a taste during our one shot at life :biggrin:
    Speaking of which, do you have a Burette?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  7. Jan 29, 2014 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Even in the nicest of divorces, people tend to lose it. My ex husband stole the kid's keys to my house and had a copy made, and kept breaking in and stealing stuff, things that only had meaning to me and were of no real monetary value. He'd steal silverware out of the dishwasher, plates and bowls, place mats, cookbooks (he didn't cook), he stole my winter clothes, my birth certificate and passports. Nuts.

He'd just run in, grab stuff and run out. One of my daughters caught him in the act of stealing my filing cabinet and wouldn't let him leave with it. She stationed herself between him and the door and wouldn't budge and called me, so he left empty handed that time. Another time I came home unexpectedly and caught him, he jumped in his car and took off. I had the locks changed several times because he kept stealing the girl's keys. I finally had to tell them to leave their keys with me when they went to his house. They searched his house and reported all of my stuff he had. He had hidden piles of my stuff in the back of closets and piled stuff over them. Unbelievable.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  8. Jan 29, 2014 #7
    Been there too, my ex also took ALL my books. I have managed to sneak a few back but the majority seem to be gone :P

Why this seems to be the case for many divorcees is beyond me. Anyway...
    Do you have a burette? :)

9. Jan 29, 2014 #8

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

I honestly do not understand why so many people who divorce their spouses engages in such petty and frankly immature behaviour as to resort to stealing or taking things that is of no obvious value to them (e.g. silverware for Evo, books for mesa). I understand that there is often acrimony in a divorce (a once passionate love can sometimes evolve into passionate hatred), but frankly, can't these people step out and see just how ridiculous they are behaving?

10. Jan 29, 2014 #9

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suppose it's mostly what you hit on - maturity. It takes a great deal of maturity to not blame the other person for everything. Yes, often there is plenty of acrimony, but also disappointment, fear, abandonment, rejection, loneliness. Very painful stuff. I try not to judge people too harshly for stupid things they do as they work through all that, but they should try to be reasonable.

OP - how did you lose your burette in the divorce?

(I do have one btw but I don't want to lend it out :biggrin:.)

11. Jan 30, 2014 #10

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My ex took my sewing machine which she didn't know how to use. Other than that, we were pretty fair in dividing things up, including dishes, silverware, pots/pans, etc. The thing that bothered me was the first thing she packed up was the kitchenware she was taking. I went to make dinner and the collander and all the cooking spoons, etc, were already packed! Seriously?! Couldn't those things be the last things packed? It's not like we were going to stop eating for the entire week she packed her stuff!

And it did bother me that she took the spoon holders her grandmother gave her. Obviously, those were hers to take, but she never used them. They were just there on the stove to look nice - kind of - they were supposed to look like prickly pear cactus and looked nice in a 50's tacky sort of way. I used them whenever she was gone (which by time we divorced was nearly all the time) and just never told her (since she would have been pretty outraged to find out someone was actually putting dirty spoons in her spoon holders).

The ones I have now actually go with the things I have in the kitchen, but I still miss those spoon holders. Sometimes a little tackiness makes a kitchen look more homey. Now I have to settle for my ThinkGeek knife holder to add a little tackiness.

All in all, it could have been worse. It could have been Halloween and she could have taken the Halloween candy and then I would have had to spend Halloween night hiding in the closet, trick or treaters would have figured things out anyway, and I would have gone out the next morning to find toilet paper hanging from all my trees.

12. Jan 30, 2014 #11
    I don't get it either although I would imagine this is more common thing to happen to the person asking for the divorce :P

She's apparently very sneaky :mad:

Welcome to the club! Maybe we should have a divorcee section on the forums? :wink:

You must still be married :biggrin:

13. Jan 30, 2014 #12

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

After a second divorce it's a lot easier to not be attached to material items. Just sayin'

14. Jan 30, 2014 #13
    Experience has shown third times the real charm :approve:

15. Jan 30, 2014 #14

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And after the third time there's probably not going to be enough money to buy anything else; experience has shown.

16. Jan 30, 2014 #15
    Yeah, these houses are getting expensive...

***EDIT***
    On a side note, I found a burette!

In fact I found everything I will ever possibly need. Our campus chemistry stockroom is okay with departmental loans of equipment so long as we fill out the proper request form and return everything at the scheduled times. Hooray!

Today I picked up everything I needed and threw in a couple plate stirrers and griffin beakers for good measure, this is going to be great!

I guess the next question will be, what to do next? :biggrin:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  17. Jan 30, 2014 #16
    breaking bad?

18. Jan 30, 2014 #17
    That is exactly what my boss said when I came back from the stockroom :biggrin:

19. Jan 30, 2014 #18

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

20. Jan 30, 2014 #19

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You found another woman?!

:tongue2:

21. Jan 30, 2014 #20

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook