It's so nice to have friends here

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date

turbo

Gold Member
It has been so great to have gotten to know people on this forum and to have met some in person. Due to MCS, I can travel in limited private circles, and have to avoid most public places. I have my dog and my wife and a really limited selection of friends to visit, so it's nice to have people to correspond with and meet. A friend from here has visited twice with family members, and we had a great time in both instances. My dog loves their son and would have willingly left with him. That's a big deal. Duke loves me and he likes to go for rides, but to extend that trust to a stranger.... priceless.

Today, I got a nice calendar from Rhody in the mail. What a nice gesture. I'm a bit beyond the sport-bike craze at my age, but I still get a thrill out of seeing high-revving engines in light frames - especially when the aficionados are intent on stripping off resin-based body parts to replace them with carbon-fiber.

Last edited:

Char. Limit

Gold Member
I really wish I could meet some of the PF members in person.

Hell, I probably HAVE, I just don't know it.

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
It goes both ways turbo. It's nice to have you here as a friend as well.

There should be a PF meet up!! LOL! The problem would be that a majority of us live in different states or out of the country.

Evo

Mentor
You're a great guy turbo. I still want that waterfront property you showed me years ago, is it still standing?

berkeman

Mentor
I enjoy the PF community as well turbo. Are you still able to ride dirtbikes or mountain bikes?

turbo

Gold Member
I enjoy the PF community as well turbo. Are you still able to ride dirtbikes or mountain bikes?
I had a mild stroke years ago due to medication that sent my heart into a-fib. That screwed up my joint-position feedback in one leg, so I hung up my mountain bike. Bleh! Too bad, because we ended up with this place on ITS 87. Instant access to unlimited miles of trails.

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I really wish I could meet some of the PF members in person.

Hell, I probably HAVE, I just don't know it.
I met a PFer a few months ago, but didn't know it. He sent me a PM recently to ask if I was who he thought I was, and I was! So I've met one so far - cool! I'd really like to meet more, or confirm that I already have.

FlexGunship

Gold Member
There should be a PF meet up!! LOL! The problem would be that a majority of us live in different states or out of the country.
What a weird socio-centrist statement. How could a majority of us live "out of the country?"

Anyway. Yeah. You guys are pretty okay.

Borek

Mentor
I know two PFers in person. Including me, that's even three. But after excluding those obvious and those I don't care about, I know no one.

Edit: I don't remember how many times we talked about the idea of meeting, in US or in Europe.

Oh, and it is nice to know you Turbo even just on line.

I know two PFers in person. Including me, that's even three. But after excluding those obvious and those I don't care about, I know no one.

Edit: I don't remember how many times we talked about the idea of meeting, in US or in Europe.

Ooops! :surprised you're not a commoner. You need to "care about" all the members. :smile:

turbo

Gold Member
To all have participated, thank you. PF is a wonderful place.

wolram

Gold Member
Ooops! :surprised you're not a commoner. You need to "care about" all the members. :smile:
I care about every members members, Turbo could you ride a combo?

turbo

Gold Member
Combo?

Char. Limit

Gold Member
What a weird socio-centrist statement. How could a majority of us live "out of the country?"

Anyway. Yeah. You guys are pretty okay.
If you live in the city, you live out of the country. Would you say it's reasonable to assume that most PFers live in the city?

turbo

Gold Member
Motor bike and side car.
Certainly, but I can also still ride motorcycles. The problem comes with sport bikes with high peg clearances, especially in traffic when you have to stop and put feet down frequently. Cruisers and most old classic bikes - no problems. I sold my Wide-Glide simply because my friends stopped riding. Two are trying to finish off houses and the third died a year back from liver cancer. The four of us used to get together once a weekend when the weather was nice and take a scenic ride with our wives on back.

:) this is nice. pf is a nice place. thanks everyone.

rhody

Gold Member
It has been so great to have gotten to know people on this forum and to have met some in person.

Today, I got a nice calendar from Rhody in the mail. What a nice gesture. I'm a bit beyond the sport-bike craze at my age, but I still get a thrill out of seeing high-revving engines in light frames - especially when the aficionados are intent on stripping off resin-based body parts to replace them with carbon-fiber.
Certainly, but I can also still ride motorcycles. The problem comes with sport bikes with high peg clearances, especially in traffic when you have to stop and put feet down frequently. Cruisers and most old classic bikes - no problems. I sold my Wide-Glide simply because my friends stopped riding. Two are trying to finish off houses and the third died a year back from liver cancer. The four of us used to get together once a weekend when the weather was nice and take a scenic ride with our wives on back.
Turbo and to all,

I am a relative new comer here since 03/09, was a lurker for about six months before joining. That being said, I have posted about things that I am passionate about and learned about subjects I never would have otherwise. Over time, I have made a number of PF friends here, a tight run forum, with a core of knowledgeable members and a great mentor staff and homework helpers, what more could one ask for.

My FJR does not have high pegs and would be ideal for yourself and your wife to take a spin next spring/summer. The offers stands, the bike is easy to ride, very forgiving, although a bit of the beast lurks above 6500 rpm. Just to add a bit of excitement to your day, if you so desire. Second, the Pirelli Diablo Strada's I use for tires are bar none the best I have found, they don't break loose easily, and when they do, it is a piece of cake to "gather it back in" so to speak.

Rhody... :wink:

P.S. You have 4 to 6 months to rehab that bum leg, a short term goal/challenge for you. hehe. I hope you take it.

turbo

Gold Member
P.S. You have 4 to 6 months to rehab that bum leg, a short term goal/challenge for you. hehe. I hope you take it.
Thank you so much Rhody. The problem is that the damage is not in my leg, nor can it be rehabilitated out. The damage is in my brain-stem. I lost joint-position feedback in my left leg and temperature-sensation in the right leg. Plus, my right foot burns like it's on a BBQ all the time. My neurologist was supportive but blunt. She said stuff like "If your right leg was lost in an accident, your foot would still burn for the rest of your life. The damage is not there."

I re-learned how to walk on flat floors within 3-4 days, though even today (many years later), uneven ground or poor lighting make it very difficult to maintain balance with the left foot. I adapted to riding cruisers with forward controls - a brief fling with a bagger was not as successful. I never dropped it, but never got comfortable with it either.

turbo

Gold Member
You're a great guy turbo. I still want that waterfront property you showed me years ago, is it still standing?
Thanks, Evo. I didn't get to that remote pond last summer, but given the state of disrepair the last time I was there, I'd be surprised if there was anything that is standing as opposed to lying. I would love to buy that property and put a modest camp there. I love fishing that pond.

turbo

Gold Member
Same here. I'd love it if you and Marzena lived nearby - I know some pretty photogenic places near here.

I love PF, I love the people on PF, I love talking, learning, discussing, and laughing on PF. This place sounds pretty ideal and perfect to me :). It's awesome having you on here too turbo! Anyways the only person I know that lives near me is DaveC426913 but it would be very strange if we met up - he's about thirty minutes away to the north-east. I'm certain that there is a 20-30 year age separation so that's probably not going to happen. Does anybody else live in or near Toronto?

turbo

Gold Member
I love PF, I love the people on PF, I love talking, learning, discussing, and laughing on PF. This place sounds pretty ideal and perfect to me :). It's awesome having you on here too turbo! Anyways the only person I know that lives near me is DaveC426913 but it would be very strange if we met up - he's about thirty minutes away to the north-east. I'm certain that there is a 20-30 year age separation so that's probably not going to happen. Does anybody else live in or near Toronto?
I'm not that far from Toronto (hours only), but due to an old infraction, I'd probably be unable to cross into Canada anymore.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads