I've told you a million times - don't hyperbolize (density of objects)

  • Thread starter Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
Messages
24,692
Reaction score
9,084
I just heard a ridiculous claim on what is supposedly a science show "How Do They Do That?"

They said that the core of a golf ball is made from a polymer compressed so much that it is equivalent to "40kg of steel fitting in a sphere just 4cm in diameter".

That's 1200g/cm3! 1200 times the density of water, 50 times denser than the densest element!

I keep reviewing the claim in my head, trying to figure out how I could have misheard it. Even if he said 4kg instead of 40, that's STILL preposterous.


Alas, nowhere can I find any claim online that tells me what the correct number is. I see numbers for a whole golf ball, but not for the core (which will be higher.) A whole golf ball is only a little denser than water.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I've opened a golf ball before, definitely not that much pressure. :)