1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I've told you a million times - don't hyperbolize! (density of objects)

1. Jan 27, 2007 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I just heard a ridiculous claim on what is supposedly a science show "How Do They Do That?"

They said that the core of a golf ball is made from a polymer compressed so much that it is equivalent to "40kg of steel fitting in a sphere just 4cm in diameter".

That's 1200g/cm3! 1200 times the density of water, 50 times denser than the densest element!

I keep reviewing the claim in my head, trying to figure out how I could have misheard it. Even if he said 4kg instead of 40, that's STILL preposterous.

Alas, nowhere can I find any claim online that tells me what the correct number is. I see numbers for a whole golf ball, but not for the core (which will be higher.) A whole golf ball is only a little denser than water.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2007 #2

verty

Homework Helper

I've opened a golf ball before, definitely not that much pressure. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?