Ivuna meteorite from edge of solar system to Tanzania?

In summary, scientists have recently determined that the Ivuna meteorite, which landed in Tanzania in 1938, may have originated from the edge of the solar system based on its similarity to an asteroid known as Ryugu. It is one of only five known CI-type meteorites on Earth and is housed at the Natural History Museum in London. There have been attempts to sell pieces of the Ivuna meteorite, with prices ranging from hundreds to thousands of dollars. However, experts caution that further analysis is needed before confirming its origin and authenticity.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award

Scientists find the source of one of the rarest meteorites to fall on Earth​

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/tech...arest-meteorites-to-fall-on-earth/ar-AA13ejQe

The Ivuna meteorite landed in Tanzania in December 1938 and was subsequently split into a number of samples – one of which is housed at the Natural History Museum (NHM) in London.

Based on an analysis of an asteroid known as Ryugu, experts believe the Ivuna rock may have originated from the edge of the solar system.

Professor Russell said that apart from Ivuna, only four other known CI-type meteorites exist on Earth: Orgueil and Alais, which both fell in France, Tonk which fell in India, and the tiny Revelstoke meteorite which fell in Canada.

Ryugu belongs to a class of asteroids called carbonaceous, or C-type, asteroids.

C-type asteroids are rich in water, carbon and organic compounds from when the solar system formed.

The researchers said both Ryugu and the CI chondrites originate from the same region of space – the outskirts of the solar system – and cannot rule out the possibility that they could even share the same parent body.

Professor Russell said: ‘By comparing the forms of iron in both the asteroids and meteorites, we learned that Ryugu is a remarkably close match to CI chondrites.’

Terrestrial modification of the Ivuna meteorite and a reassessment of the chemical composition of the CI type specimen​

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0016703719306271

The Buseck Center for Meteorite Studies at Arizona State University has a piece of Ivanu.
https://meteorites.asu.edu/collection/specimen-catalogue

Ivuna856Mbeya. TanzaniaChondriteCI11.4

• Informative
Likes DennisN, davenn, pinball1970 and 1 other person
Astronomy news on Phys.org
pinball1970 said:
Perhaps @DennisN has a sample?
Maybe you are thinking of @davenn and not me?
I'm not collecting meteorites. Yet. Don't give me any funny ideas, I could end up doing that too, who knows. :)

If I start to collect meteorites, I will let you know.
And if I do, I think it will be a somewhat rocky start for me.

• Haha
Likes ohwilleke, davenn, Ibix and 2 others
DennisN said:
I'm not collecting meteorites. Yet. Don't give me any funny ideas, I could end up doing that too, who knows. :)

If I start to collect meteorites, I will let you know.
And if I do, I think it will be a somewhat rocky start for me.
Yes I realized. I'm an Idiot sorry.

• Haha
Likes ohwilleke
pinball1970 said:
I'm an Idiot sorry.
No worries! :smile:

pinball1970 said:
Perhaps @DennisN has a sample?

DennisN said:

hey guys... awww go on Dennis, start collecting, LOL

No, definitely don't have a piece of that. I suspect even a gram of it would cost $1000's

I did just buy another meteorite piece this morning. Junction City, Georgia, USA
It's a new observed fall a couple of weeks ago

1.27g Jnct City.jpg

That was US$280 - AU$476 ... the US$ to AU$ exchange rate sux at the moment, almost double the price

there was a 12.8g piece available for US$2500 ... too rich for me hahahaha

Likes ohwilleke, DennisN, pinball1970 and 2 others
davenn said:
I suspect even a gram of it would cost $1000's
When I was searching for information on the Ivuna meteorite, I found several places that were selling pieces, each on the order of 1 gram. Apparently, there were many pieces.

Someone is selling a 4.552g specimen for $17,900. The description is: IVUNA Type of the Meteorite: CI1, Carbonaceous chondrite (Ivuna groupe, type 1), regolith breccia. Country: Tanzania. Date of find: 1938, december 16 (17h30). Tkw: 704g. Story of the Ivuna meteorite, Tanzania. 1938, december 16 (17h30), two or three stones fell at Ivuna, near the W shore of Rukwa but one of 704g stone was recovered. Ivuna is the classic standart of the "I" designation of Carbonaceous chondrites ( Orgueil is another example of the "I" designation ).
http://www.meteorites.tv/59-ivuna-meteorite

I think the description (IVUNA Type) is a bit dodgy. I'd want a spectral analysis for committing to a purchase for that kind of price. And I would NOT pay that kind of money.

There are more meteorites from Tanzania, but not necessarily related to Ivuna.
https://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?code=12063

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Likes davenn, ohwilleke and DennisN
Astronuc said:
Someone is selling a 4.552g specimen for $17,900.

crazy huh

stone broke

Adjective

1. What you'll end up as if you buy too many meteorites.

• Haha
Likes davenn, ohwilleke, pinball1970 and 1 other person

1. What is the Ivuna meteorite?

The Ivuna meteorite is a type of carbonaceous chondrite meteorite that was discovered in Tanzania in 1938. It is believed to have originated from the edge of the solar system and is estimated to be 4.6 billion years old.

2. How did the Ivuna meteorite travel from the edge of the solar system to Tanzania?

The Ivuna meteorite is thought to have been ejected from its parent body, possibly a comet or asteroid, due to collisions or other disruptive events. It then traveled through space until it entered Earth's atmosphere and landed in Tanzania.

3. What makes the Ivuna meteorite unique?

The Ivuna meteorite is unique because it contains a high concentration of organic compounds, including amino acids, which are the building blocks of life. This suggests that the meteorite may have played a role in the origin of life on Earth.

4. How was the age of the Ivuna meteorite determined?

The age of the Ivuna meteorite was determined through radiometric dating, which measures the decay of radioactive elements in the meteorite. This method has been used to determine that the meteorite is approximately 4.6 billion years old, the same age as the solar system.

5. What impact has the Ivuna meteorite had on scientific research?

The Ivuna meteorite has had a significant impact on scientific research, particularly in the field of astrobiology. Its unique composition and age have provided valuable insights into the early solar system and the potential for extraterrestrial life. It has also been studied for its potential use in understanding the origins of life on Earth.