Jaden Harris' Velocity Ques. at Yahoo Answers

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Messages
13,284
Reaction score
12
Here is the question:

Average Velocity and instantaneous velocity?

I am having so much trouble with this question, and I have no idea why. I know that average velocity is based upon a secant and is basically a slope formula. Instantaneous velocity is based upon a tangent and is basically a point. However, this question is confusing me, maybe I'm staying up too late. Help?

When a ball is thrown vertically upward into the air with a velocity of 72 ft/sec its height, y(t), in feet after t seconds is given by y(t) = 72t - 16t^2. Find the average velocity of the ball over the interval from 4 to 4+h seconds, h does not = 0.
a) Avg. Vel.= -(57-16h) ft/sec
b)Avg. Vel.= -(57+h) ft/sec
c) Avg. Vel.= -(57+16h) ft/sec
d) Avg. Vel.= -(57-h) ft/sec
e) Avg. Vel.= -(56+16h) ft/sec
f) Avg. Vel.= -(56-16h) ft/sec

Then it proceeds to ask:
Find the instantaneous velocity of the ball after 4 seconds:
a) Instantaneous Vel. =-56 ft/sec
b) Instantaneous Vel. =-55 ft/sec
c) Instantaneous Vel. =-53 ft/sec
d) Instantaneous Vel. =-54 ft/sec
e) Instantaneous Vel. =-57 ft/sec

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can see my work.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Jaden Harris,

For the first part of the question, we need to compute the difference quotient:

$$\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta t}=\frac{y(4+h)-y(h)}{h}\,\frac{\text{ft}}{\text{s}}$$

So, we find:

$$y(4+h)-y(h)=\left(72(4+h)-16(4+h)^2 \right)-\left(72(4)-16(4)^2 \right)=$$

$$72(4)+72(h)-16\left(16+8h+h^2 \right)-72(4)+16(16)=72h-128h-16h^2=-8h(7+2h)$$

Hence:

$$\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta t}=\frac{-8h(7+2h)}{h}\,\frac{\text{ft}}{\text{s}}=-8(7+2h)\,\frac{\text{ft}}{\text{s}}=-(56+16h)\,\frac{\text{ft}}{\text{s}}$$

Thus, e) is the correct answer.

For the second part of the question, we wish to evaluate the limit:

$$y'(4)\equiv\lim_{h\to0}-(56+16h)\,\frac{\text{ft}}{\text{s}}=-56\,\frac{\text{ft}}{\text{s}}$$

Thus, a) is the correct answer.