Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

John Edwards - Center on Poverty, Work and Opportunity

1. Jun 23, 2006 #1

Staff: Mentor

Center on Poverty, Work and Opportunity

An End to Poverty in 30 Years

June 23, 2006
    John Edwards didn't go back to his lucrative law practice after his unsuccessful vice presidential campaign. When his one term in the U.S. Senate ended, Edwards set up the Center on Poverty, Work and Opporunity at the University of North Carolina School of Law. Many consider Edwards to be a potential presidential candidate in 2008. In a June 22 speech at the National Press Club, he calls for a national goal to eliminate poverty in the U.S. within 30 years.

- look for the episode on June 23, 2006, An End to Poverty in 30 Years, John Edwards - worthwhile listening!

It's about time to end poverty, not only in the US, but worldwide.

Edwards could run for president in 2008. Meanwhile he is working to eliminate poverty. So watch for him in the future.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2006 #2
    Great link.

Edwards is definitely an intellegent person, who seems to be in touch with the real world, and the real America.

I am sure the fact that he was a malpractice attorney had a lot to do with his not being accepted by a lot of people in 2000. And Rove played that fact to the hilt.

On the other hand few people were aware that the infamous Ken Star , the republicans hero, was an appeals attorney for the tobbacco industry.
  4. Jun 24, 2006 #3
    I liked his comment: "We are the leaders we've been waiting for."
  5. Jun 24, 2006 #4
    I see the Senate is all gung ho to avoid addressing the issue of poverty.

A living wage is the basis of any plan to end poverty. I have to wonder what the motivation is to not have the minimum wage be a living wage. If a person is willing to work a full time job they should have an income that is above the poverty level.

Oh now I understand, poor people don't contribute to campaigns. The Congress is making sure they take care of their base.

Thousands. :confused: In a nation of 300 million the Senate refuses to address an issue that effects 40 million and the House panders to a few thousand.:bugeye:

Hmmm.... could it be that this is not a popular election year issue?

Oh that is a relief, the same Senate that refuses to have a vote on increasing the minimum wage.

Isn't that reassuring.

I guess the White House and it's Congress will not rest until the last 5100 persecuted elite are once and for all liberated from this onerous burden.

I guess with enough money and no voting rights it doesn't matter what the majority wants.

I guess a 20% approval rating is high enough for the GOP Congress, all they have to do is call the Dems cowardly cut and runners, conduct extensive voter suppression campaigns, and keep the poor, well, keep them poor and away from the polls, to maintain their control of Congress.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?