Joining Titanium tubes to teflon tubesheet.

In summary: Create a steam jacket around the entire tubing length. This will add some cost, but the heat transfer efficiency will be much greater.
rollingstein
Gold Member
What would be the possible options to join Titanium Heat Exchanger tubes to a PTFE / Teflon tubesheet? These are 38 mm tubes, 2 mm thick. 6 m total length. Seamless tubes.

Is this a reasonable design decision? Full titanium tubesheet would be excessively expensive & isn't needed since only the tube-side fluid needs Ti because of corrosive nature.

The other options might be Ti clad Stainless tubesheets or an SS tubesheet with an epoxy coating. But not sure if joining those to Titanium tubes is any easier?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What sort of pressure, and what sort of fluid in contact with the teflon?

Bystander said:
What sort of pressure, and what sort of fluid in contact with the teflon?

Tubeside pressure 2 barg max. Shellside is steam at 2 barg max. i.e. 135 C.

The teflon tubesheet will contact steam on one side & on the other a saturated salt (NaCl / Na2SO4) solution at approx. 105 C.

The high chloride conc. & high T motivate Titanium tubes. The unit is fairly small capacity, approx. 20 m2.

PS. If you'd suggest any alternative design decisions, I'd love to hear.

Unknown in Ti. Two barg steam in the shell. Close the shell with Teflon. Saturated brine other side of tube sheet from shell --- also at 2 barg?

Bystander said:
Unknown in Ti. Two barg steam in the shell. Close the shell with Teflon. Saturated brine other side of tube sheet from shell --- also at 2 barg?

Yes. Both sides at 2 barg.

Hot NaCl brine on tube side.
Steam on shell side.

PS. Did I misunderstand what you asked for?

rollingstein said:
The teflon tubesheet will contact steam on one side & on the other a saturated salt (NaCl / Na2SO4) solution at approx. 105 C.
I keep hearing you say you're separating three streams from one another, and Teflon is a working seal between two of them.

Bystander said:
I keep hearing you say you're separating three streams from one another, and Teflon is a working seal between two of them.

Ok, sorry. That's not what I meant. There's only two streams.

Perhaps this diagram clarifies things:

V8IrK45.jpg

Okay, so the Teflon is dealing with steam pressure versus atmosphere. You are going to have to support it with some sort of plate, in which case you might want to look at packed glands through a plate. That kicks expenses up, but the creep rate for Teflon at that temperature is going to be an endless headache. Can you just run the process tubing as sleeves through a longer tube shell? Or, is that too much loss in heat transfer efficiency?Edit:

And, this does nothing but move the problem --- you've still got to come up with something for a tube sheet.

Second Edit:

Actually if the Ti cost is the constraint, steam jacket that length of Ti tubing, and forget the tube and shell configuration.

Last edited:

1. What is the best method for joining titanium tubes to a Teflon tubesheet?

The best method for joining titanium tubes to a Teflon tubesheet is through mechanical fastening using bolts or screws. This creates a strong and reliable bond between the two materials.

2. Is it possible to join titanium tubes to a Teflon tubesheet using welding?

It is not recommended to join titanium tubes to a Teflon tubesheet using welding as it can result in damage or distortion to the Teflon material. Welding should only be used as a last resort and with caution.

3. Can adhesive bonding be used to join titanium tubes to a Teflon tubesheet?

Adhesive bonding can be used to join titanium tubes to a Teflon tubesheet, but it may not provide as strong of a bond as mechanical fastening. It is important to choose an adhesive specifically designed for bonding these two materials.

4. Are there any special considerations when joining titanium tubes to a Teflon tubesheet?

Yes, there are a few special considerations when joining these two materials. It is important to ensure that the Teflon tubesheet is clean and free of any debris or oils. The use of a primer or surface treatment may also be necessary to improve the bond between the two materials.

5. What are the potential challenges when joining titanium tubes to a Teflon tubesheet?

Some potential challenges when joining these two materials include differences in thermal expansion rates, which can cause stress on the bond, and the potential for galvanic corrosion between the titanium and Teflon. Proper precautions should be taken to address these challenges and ensure a successful joint.