1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Joining two lines(3D) with a circular arc fillet

1. Aug 11, 2007 #1
    Hi all,
    I have two lines in three dimensional form [P1(x1,y1,z1),P2(x2,y2,z2), and P3(x3,y3,z3), P4(x4,y4,z4) ] joined by a fillet, with known radius. i want to know the, start of the fillet(bend), end of the fillet, center of the fillet in a mathematical expression. with the above solution, i can formulate in a C program for further use. Thanks in advance.

regards
    velan

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2007 #2
    Please read or at least glimpse over all the stickies in the sub-forums for which you post for the first time. Problems like these belong in the homework help subforums.

4. Aug 11, 2007 #3
    Hi all,
    I have two lines in three dimensional form [P1(x1,y1,z1),P2(x2,y2,z2), and P3(x3,y3,z3), P4(x4,y4,z4) ] joined by a fillet, with known radius. i want to know the, start of the fillet(bend), end of the fillet, center of the fillet in a mathematical expression. with the above solution, i can formulate in a C program for further use. Thanks in advance.

regards
    velan

5. Aug 11, 2007 #4

uart

Science Advisor

Hi velanvelam, are the two lines assumed to be co-planar (that is, are they known to intersect).

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  6. Aug 12, 2007 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If by fillet you mean an arc segment tangent to the two segments, what makes you think such a thing even exists if the two segments aren't coplanar?

7. Aug 13, 2007 #6
    No, the two lines are not in the same plane.

regards
    velan

8. Aug 13, 2007 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since this is also posted in the homework thread, I am joining the two.

9. Aug 13, 2007 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The arc itself defines a plane. If the two segments are not coplanar then the arc can't be tangent to both.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?