JPL Ephemeris Files: Calculating Heliocentric Pos. of Mars

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter cptolemy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    files
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
cptolemy
Messages
45
Reaction score
1
Greetings,

This is actually a simple question. I'm working on the JPL ephemeris original data. My question is: If I wish to calculate the heliocentric position of, let's say, Mars from the original JPL raw data, must I calculate first the x,y and z position (an easy process) and then subtract the 11th value - the Sun - to these coordinates?
The JPL frame is referred to the SS barycenter, right? So I must subtract these values I presume.

Kind regards,

CPtolemy
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
cptolemy said:
I'm working on the JPL ephemeris original data
Exactly which original data would that be? Do you have a link? Horizons?
If the coordinate system is referenced to the barycentre, then the Sun will have coordinates that are small, close to, but not equal to zero.
So if that is the case, yes, subtract the Sun's coordinates from the object's coordinates to get the object's heliocentric position.