Jupiter appearing flashy - red on top, blue bottom

• I
  • Thread starter bahamagreen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jupiter
In summary: If your directions are correct, then that cannot be Jupiter. Jupiter is in the southwest in the early morning and the southeast in the early evening.Airplane navigation lights are red and green, and anti-collision lights flash red.Stellarium right now, my local time 11:21 AM with the Sun up in the sky (I just checked) is indicating the time is 21:12 PM and showing the Sun under the horizon... with the location indicated "near Houston".So yes, likely not Jupiter. Thanks everyone so far, would like to figure out what it is.
Just to be clear, I thought it was Jupiter, but have since identified it is Antares.
Suggestions that the effect is Earth atmosphere, angle above horizon, or my eyes must explain why other objects (both planets and stars) at various angular elevations (including low ones) viewed both naked eye and with 10x binoculars do not exhibit the effect.

Per Wikipedia, Antares is surrounded by a large, red reflection nebula called the Rho Ophiuchi cloud complex (interstellar clouds with different nebulae), and they look interesting...
200px-Rho_Ophiucus_Widefield.jpg

200px-Rho_Ophiuchi.jpg

200px-Antares_and_Rho_Ophiuchi_by_Adam_Block.jpg

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Lovely images but no one ever saw them. Those danged astrophotographers give beginners over optimistic ideas about what they will see with the telescope their auntie bought them for Christmas.

Likes DaveC426913
bahamagreen said:
Suggestions that the effect is Earth atmosphere, angle above horizon, or my eyes must explain why other objects (both planets and stars) at various angular elevations (including low ones) viewed both naked eye and with 10x binoculars do not exhibit the effect.
They do. It's just less noticeable.

Also per Wikipedia, it's "one of the largest stars visible to the naked eye. Its exact size remains uncertain, but if placed at the center of the Solar System, it would reach to somewhere between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter."

Uncertainty of size is because it is increasingly diffuse with radius? Perhaps it is lensing something behind it?

I would still like to read descriptions from any here that have taken a look at it.

• Skeptical
Likes Motore
bahamagreen said:
Also per Wikipedia, it's "one of the largest stars visible to the naked eye.
Unusual. I looked for Antares, assuming it would be at the top of the size list, but did not find it near the top.

bahamagreen said:
Uncertainty of size is because it is increasingly diffuse with radius? Perhaps it is lensing something behind it?
No, it's just due to the nature of the star. It doesn't even have a single size due to pulsations.
Per wiki:

Like most cool supergiants, Antares's size has much uncertainty due to the tenuous and translucent nature of the extended outer regions of the star. Defining an effective temperature is difficult due to spectral lines being generated at different depths in the atmosphere, and linear measurements produce different results depending on the wavelength observed.[49] In addition, Antares appears to pulsate, varying its radius by 19%

DaveC426913 said:
Unusual. I looked for Antares, assuming it would be at the top of the size list, but did not find it near the top.
Most very large stars are not visible to the naked eye. I assume that's why Antares was not near the top.

Drakkith said:
Most very large stars are not visible to the naked eye. I assume that's why Antares was not near the top.
You'll have to get up earlier in the morning than that to fool me!

I did not look for largest stars; I looked for stars with largest apparent diameter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stars_with_resolved_images
Antares is 18th from the top.

• Haha
Likes anorlunda
DaveC426913 said:
I did not look for largest stars; I looked for stars with largest apparent diameter.
Sort the list on your wikipedia link by angular diameter. Antares is 4th. Or 5th if you include the Sun.

Drakkith said:
Sort the list on your wikipedia link by angular diameter. Antares is 4th. Or 5th if you include the Sun.
Fer cryin' out loud! I just assumed they were listed in descending order of size.

OK, as long as you're up by noon at the latest, you won't fool me.

sophiecentaur said:
The original scenario was confusing. So it's just lousy weather for astronomy. What's new?
What's new is the color separation effect that most people don't notice, but the OP did.

Likes sophiecentaur
russ_watters said:
What's new is the color separation effect that most people don't notice, but the OP did.
So far, I don't think anyone in this thread has observed Antares and described here what they did or didn't notice except me. I have been requesting people do just that and have been watching for such posts.

bahamagreen said:
So far, I don't think anyone in this thread has observed Antares and described here what they did or didn't notice except me. I have been requesting people do just that and have been watching for such posts.
What exactly are you asking? That we look at Antares to confirm that it color-separates in bad seeing at low elevation, like you observed? I don't need to do that to confirm this is a thing.

russ_watters said:
What exactly are you asking? That we look at Antares to confirm that it color-separates in bad seeing at low elevation, like you observed? I don't need to do that to confirm this is a thing.
I'd like people here with formal training and professional experience to look at the night sky and report if they see Antares flashing, if they see Antares doing this while the other stars and planets are not doing so, and if they see the colors - red dot on top, blue and green areas near the bottom.
I am not formally trained in optics, my descriptions are naive, and my suggestions of possible cause are relatively uninformed. I am hoping some trained experienced eyes may confirm and better describe the effect so someone might recognize the cause.
Specifically:
- why is Antares the only object I am noticing flashing?
- why is Antares the only object I am noticing flashing colors?

bahamagreen said:
I'd like people here with formal training and professional experience to look at the night sky and report if they see Antares flashing...
This request is unnecessary and problematic. The effects are well known/understood, so you don't need a trained expert (I'm an amateur, but a pretty serious one), the effect is sky condition dependent and I'm still not convinced you know what object(s) you are looking at.
if they see Antares doing this while the other stars and planets are not doing so...
In addition to both effects being sky condition and object elevation dependent, the color separation/flashing also depends on our eye's poor ability to detect colors at night. So only bright objects near the horizon will show this combined effect to the naked eye.

Yes, I've seen this. I've photographed it. I've corrected it in the photos. These effects are not controversial/are well known to astronomers. Processing software even has built-in features to deal with it:
http://www.astronomie.be/registax/registax5usermanual.pdf
Page 48:
RGB Align toolWINDOW
Sometimes images have shifted colour-layers after stacking, this can be the case due to using different
files for each colour-layer and less then perfect alignment/optimisation or due to atmospheric effects.
The RGB Align tool is a very simple tool to improve the image quality.

Another source:
In addition to turbulence, the atmosphere creates another imaging problem referred to as differential atmospheric refraction. In effect, the atmosphere acts as a giant, but very-weak prism. Blue light is bent downward more strongly than red light. This results in a smearing of planetary imagery into a vertical spectrum. The amount of this smearing depends on the planet’s elevation angle.
https://astronomytechnologytoday.com/2017/07/06/atmospheric-dispersion-corrector/

It also describes that optical correction lenses can be made for this problem.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman and Motore
bahamagreen said:
I just looked now, naked eye and binoculars.
With naked eye there is a red dot at the top of the disc that appears and disappears every few seconds with a general flashiness near the bottom of the disc.
With binoculars, the general flashiness looks more green than blue, the red dot is easy to see.
May I ask that people take a look, naked eye and with equipment, to at least confirm and maybe better describe what is seen?

I saw this tonight just with the naked eye. A red flash next to Jupiter. I was mesmerised. Birmingham, UK