Discover Jupiter's Mysteries with James Webb Space Telescope

In summary: They are made up of gas and dust and are often brightly coloured because of all the dust and gas that is flying around.They are made up of gas and dust and are often brightly coloured because of all the dust and gas that is flying around.
TL;DR Summary
Jupiter as seen from James Webb
In case you didn't see it elsewhere:

• Love
Likes OmCheeto, Drakkith, hmmm27 and 10 others
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Amazing! Is this "glowing light" on bottom and top (the poles I guess) aurorae?

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
Did anybody else spend over 5 minutes trying to explain to their spouse why the Great Red Spot is white in this JWST picture?

"But it's not red! Why would it be called the Great Red Spot?!"

:oldeyes:

Likes russ_watters, vanhees71 and jim mcnamara
berkeman said:
Did anybody else spend over 5 minutes trying to explain to their spouse why the Great Red Spot is white in this JWST picture?

No I gave that a mental swerve.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, vanhees71 and berkeman
berkeman said:
That Hubble Pallet can be an embarrassment at the same time as it's false colour reveals interesting features to 'experts'. I wonder if that's the problem.

berkeman said:

Our Sun is classed as a Green Star; similar problem. The spectrum peaks in the greens but we call it White. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

sophiecentaur said:
Our Sun is classed as a Green Star; similar problem. The spectrum peaks in the greens but we call it White. It's all in the eye of the beholder.
Or just shifting the colour right with Webb. The shortest wavelength being blue and longest red.
Shortest being 700nm plus.
What is there and what a human is able to detect and what these instruments illustrate is something that has been a real education for me.
How does a telescope work and how do we get the images?

sophiecentaur said:
Our Sun is classed as a Green Star
By whom?

It does produce green energy, but I think that's something else.

• Haha
Likes sophiecentaur
All the wavelengths in this picture are in the infrared and far outside our visible range. If you plotted this picture using "real" colors, it would be black.

Likes Vanadium 50 and sophiecentaur
Vanadium 50 said:
By whom?
You have a point there. There is a reference to the idea in a Wiki article that talks about the history of stellar classification. I'm being a bit sloppy about this but I'm basically saying that the perceived colour of a star is not a good form of classification because colour is completely subjective. Our colour vision attempts to make all illuminants appear as white and to give a consistent assessment of the colour of objects under a range of illuminants (fluorescent lamps completely defeat our colour sense)

With a spectrometer we can identify the peak spectral level of a star. The Sun peaks around the green (subjective) wavelengths. Early attempts at consistent classification tried to use the spectral peak of stars (something they could do with simple equipment, I guess.). If you were to try to normalise all the spectra to a reference 'perfect / flat' white then the Sun would be greenISH.

Snag. Stars of different generations will have been formed of different constituent elements with different spectra from that our our Sun so they don't just have black body colours. Colours are distorted from the [normal Edit expected] curve and their spectral maxima don't just follow the temperature in any case.

A member of my Astro Soc gets uncontrollably excited about coloured stars and I've been (slightly) affected in the same way, recently.

Last edited:
sophiecentaur said:
That Hubble Pallet
Pallet -- a structure that is used to hold a heavy piece of equipment or building supplies. Pallets are often made of wood.
Palette - a selection of colors.
Palate - the roof of the mouth or the sense of taste.

• Haha
Likes sophiecentaur, Vanadium 50 and berkeman
If we're going to quibble, can I call it the Great infraRed Spot?

Maybe the "venti" or even "trenta" IR spot? how many Starbucks do you figure are on the perimeter of the spot?

Mark44 said:
Pallet -- a structure that is used to hold a heavy piece of equipment or building supplies. Pallets are often made of wood.
Palette - a selection of colors.
Palate - the roof of the mouth or the sense of taste.
I may be able to put it all down to the automatic spell "correction". On balance, the app would have assumed that carrying things is more common than painting them. Embarrassing, nonetheless. o:)

pinball1970 said:
What is there and what a human is able to detect and what these instruments illustrate is something that has been a real education for me.
There is virtually nothing in the night sky (with the exception of the Moon) which we can see 'in colour' because our cone colour sensors are just not sensitive enough. We 'see' in almost monochrome, with just hints of colour in the most obvious objects. All those glamorous nebulae that we see in so many images on the net are the result of very long exposures on sensitive sensors, so it's all pretty artificial. Even the very bright nebula in Orion (stunning in its own way) appears as a bright fuzzy but colourless patch through my 10" reflector (a serious light bucket by amateur standards).

OTOH, photos of Northern Lights on our smart phones can be less stunning than the visual experience that people can get when they're actually there. I guess it must be to do with context and psychology.

What is the James Webb Space Telescope and how does it work?

The James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) is a space-based observatory that will be used to study the universe in infrared light. It is designed to capture images and data from objects that are too faint or distant to be seen by other telescopes. JWST works by using a large mirror to collect light and then sending it to a suite of instruments that analyze the light and provide information about the object being observed.

Why is studying Jupiter important?

Jupiter is the largest planet in our solar system and has a unique and complex atmosphere. By studying Jupiter, we can gain a better understanding of how gas giants form and evolve. Additionally, Jupiter's moons have the potential to harbor life, so studying the planet can also provide insight into the possibility of extraterrestrial life.

What mysteries about Jupiter can the James Webb Space Telescope help solve?

The James Webb Space Telescope will be able to study Jupiter's atmosphere in detail, including its composition, temperature, and weather patterns. It will also be able to study the planet's magnetic field and auroras. These observations can help us understand the processes that drive Jupiter's atmospheric dynamics and how it interacts with its moons.

What technology does the James Webb Space Telescope use to study Jupiter?

JWST uses advanced infrared technology to study Jupiter. Its instruments are designed to detect and analyze the infrared light emitted by the planet and its moons. This allows for more detailed observations and can reveal information that is not visible to other telescopes.

When will the James Webb Space Telescope be launched and how long will it study Jupiter?

The launch of JWST is currently scheduled for October 2021. Once it reaches its orbit, it will undergo a series of tests and calibrations before beginning its scientific mission. It is expected to operate for at least 5 years, but could potentially continue to study Jupiter for much longer, depending on its condition and available resources.