Just accepted my first real job!

Main Question or Discussion Point

Just accepted my first "real" job!

I'm not generally one to too my own horn, so this is pretty awkward for me, but I figured I'd let you all know that a big thing has happened in my life - I just accepted my true dream job. I will be working on different embedded system architectures for different smart phones and portable devices. I just have an overwhelming feeling of "I did it" right now.

The compensation is several times greater than my family has ever had combined. I spent a large part of my childhood going from shelter to shelter, and I am just overwhelmed to see that my parents actually have a home now, and I will be financially able to help my niece and nephew have the things they need.

I've been writing thank-you cards to everyone who helped me big and small; professors, co-workers, mentors, etc. Consider this your thank-you card. Really, thanks. I appreciate all the help and good chat. I also purchased an account upgrade - cause lets be honest, money talks :wink:. I don't want an avatar or anything, I actually don't really care for the "contributor" badge, but I thought the time was right to do something.

Peace and love.

-Adam

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

chiro
Science Advisor

I'm not generally one to too my own horn, so this is pretty awkward for me, but I figured I'd let you all know that a big thing has happened in my life - I just accepted my true dream job with Qualcomm in Boulder, CO. I will be working on different embedded system architectures for different smart phones and portable devices. I just have an overwhelming feeling of "I did it" right now.

The compensation is several times greater than my family has ever had combined. I spent a large part of my childhood going from shelter to shelter, and I am just overwhelmed to see that my parents actually have a home now, and I will be financially able to help my niece and nephew have the things they need.

I've been writing thank-you cards to everyone who helped me big and small; professors, co-workers, mentors, etc. Consider this your thank-you card. Really, thanks. I appreciate all the help and good chat. I also purchased an account upgrade - cause lets be honest, money talks :wink:. I don't want an avatar or anything, I actually don't really care for the "contributor" badge, but I thought the time was right to do something.

Peace and love.

-Adam
Congratulations, that is great to hear.

I hope you do well, keep learning, and gain the rewards from your hard work.

One piece of advice though: keep hungry. Keep the attitude that you had before in the sense that you will stay "hungry" like you did before. Don't let yourself go now that you are in the position you are in: keep the same mental attitude that you had the past all the way up until now when you got your job offer. I guarantee you will do well if you stick by this principle.

Again, I wish you the best for what future comes to you.

Evo
Mentor

Congratulations!! Wonderful news.

Congratulations! It's an amazing place!

(P.S. I noticed people generally don't talk about the company they work for. OP could you please reevaluate the consequences of disclosing the personal information.)

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Great news. good luck! and congratulations!

congrats! may you also get a window!

Congratulations! It's an amazing place!

(P.S. I noticed people generally don't talk about the company they work for. OP could you please reevaluate the consequences of disclosing the personal information.)
What exactly should I be concerned about?

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member

I'm not generally one to too my own horn, so this is pretty awkward for me, but I figured I'd let you all know that a big thing has happened in my life - I just accepted my true dream job. I will be working on different embedded system architectures for different smart phones and portable devices. I just have an overwhelming feeling of "I did it" right now.
Nothing wrong with tooting when it's deserved. Here, I'll help you. [PLAIN]http://www.careerrocketeer.com/wp-content/uploads/Toot-Your-Horn.jpg [Broken]
I also purchased an account upgrade - cause lets be honest, money talks :wink:. I don't want an avatar or anything, I actually don't really care for the "contributor" badge, but I thought the time was right to do something.
What? But you look so good in gold. Be proud my man. And by all means, you need an avatar. Let me suggest this one.
[URL]http://ih1.redbubble.net/work.2685047.3.flat,550x550,075,f.king-nothing.jpg[/URL]

Congratulations. And thanks for letting your PF family know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo
Mentor

It's very touching when someone achieves success through thier hard work and dilligence, yet they thank others. It really makes me proud of the type of people we have on this forum.

Woah King, what great news! We are very proud of you, a great achievement.

rhody
Gold Member

It's very touching when someone achieves success through thier hard work and dilligence, yet they thank others. It really makes me proud of the type of people we have on this forum.
I couldn't have said it better than Evo did, outstanding, simply outstanding... You just made my day. You SHOULD be proud.

Rhody... :biggrin:

DaveC426913
Gold Member

...embedded system architectures for different smart phones and portable devices...
Welcome to the industry!

russ_watters
Mentor

If you don't toot tour horn, how will anyone know?!

Congrats!

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Congrats, KingNothing! This thread made me happy :smile:.

turbo
Gold Member

Congratulations, Adam. You earned it. I hope you love your new job.

What exactly should I be concerned about?
anything stupid you might have said here in the past or future.

anything intelligent that might be taken the wrong way.